fifty seven | say you'll see me again

say you'll see me again / even if it's just in your / wildest dreams

By the time I woke up, it was already noon and I found myself alone in his bed. I was hoping that Ryker would be here with me but I knew that he was an Alpha and he had tons of things to do other than to stay in bed, waiting for me to wake up. I stretched my tired and sore body then swung my legs to one side of the bed, getting up. Out of habit, I folded the blanket and tidied the bed before I walked out of his bedroom, closed the door behind me, and made my way downstairs.

I knew something was up the minute I saw Eros and Dmitry tucked in one corner of the kitchen. They were the most unlikely pairing and having both of them ducked their heads, deep in a hushed conversation was another indication that something was not right.

"Good morning," I greeted them but none were replying so I tried again louder this time.

Only then, did my best friend turn to face me and offered me a small smile. "Morning, Xy."

"Hey, I know you still don't want to face Seb yet, so I figure that I could lend you my place for the time being." I dug my pocket for keys then handed them to him. "You can stay at my house as long as you want." I'd thought of this and it was the best solution that I could come up with. Since there was no way Eros would stay in that apartment after what had happened there, I figured letting him stay would make him happy.

"Yeah," he accepted the keys and shoved them inside the pocket of his jeans. "Thanks." There was that awkward look in his blue-green eyes that told me something was most definitely wrong. Something that he and Dmitry had been discussing.

"What is it?" I inquired. "What's wrong? I know something is up and you both aren't telling me." Eros ducked his head and stared at the ground so I moved to face Dmitry. Eros might try to save my feelings or not worry me because he was my best friend but I knew Dmitry, he was an emotionless man, he didn't care enough for me to hide the truth. I knew I could count on his bluntness to tell me so I inched my way to him until we were only a few feet apart. "Dmitry, what is it?"

For the first time, I saw conflict in his deep molten chocolate eyes. He actually looked unsure whether he would tell me or not. Right in one moment that I thought I could count on him to tell me point blank the truth, he was feeling conflicted and being all indecisive and secretive. "Oh, come on. Whatever it is, it can't be that bad, right? What is it? Are you two now in love or something? Is that why you both are so close and being so discreet just now?" I laughed, shaking my head. In all honesty, I found them to be an unlikely pairing but I also knew that not until a month ago, I would've thought the same thing about Ryker and me yet here we were right now. Happy and together. Although I wouldn't call it 'love' or that we were 'soulmates' but I could guarantee that we were so damned close to those terms. Being with Ryker had brought me joy, more than I'd like to admit. And being together also brought the same joy to Eros and Dmitry, I'd be more than happy for them. "I won't oppose your relationship. I'm all about love beyond gender. We should be allowed — no, we 'are' allowed to love whoever we love, whoever our hearts belong to. Don't let stupid old doctrine or anyone tell you that a man should only love a woman or vice versa. We love who we love, okay?"

Both Eros and Dmitry shared a look before both focusing their eyes on me. Then I saw a sliver of sadness in their eyes. I even caught a pity on my best friend's blue-green eyes. At last, Eros sighed and placed one hand on my shoulder. He leaned forward until his face was leveled with mine. I would've been pissed at how he tried to talk to me as if I was five years old, but the look on his face silenced my protest. Instead, I waited for him to speak, anxiously waiting on what he'd like to tell me. "Xy, it's not about Dmitry and me. We don't feel that way toward each other. It's about you."