(d) eleven

Double updates to brighten everyone's day (hopefully it works!)

"I believe it was a few days after he left, this letter arrived at my house in D.C.," said Tiffany as she opened her drawer and pulled out an A4-sized brown envelope that I often saw being used to store documents. After what had happened in the garage, she'd brought me into her bedroom which was bigger than my entire house and should be called a suite instead. She led me to a small living room where a wooden desk and office chair was installed. "He must've asked Dmitry to mail it." She proceeded to reopen the envelope and produce two pieces of paper, then she set the envelope on the table.

"Most of the documents are instructions and whatnot. Things that he'd like to see happening if-" Tiffany stifled a sob and shook her head. "I'm sorry. I'm very emotional when it comes to my family. Anyway, yeah, basically what he wants us to do with his estate, assets, the pack, charities, and orphanages that he wants to donate. All in all, it's his will." She swallowed hard, her lips trembled and I knew that she was trying hard not to have a mental breakdown right now. "Except for these two pieces of paper. These are letters for you. He wants me to give it to you." She looked down at the first paper and lifted it up. "This one is to be given to you if he doesn't come back in a year, while the other one is if he-" she took a deep breath before continuing, "if he passes away."

I felt a lump in my throat and my tears threatened to fall but I held it all back inside. If I cried, Tiffany surely would crack and cry. We both would end up on a floor like a puddle of mess.

Tiffany handed both pieces of paper to me but I only took the first one. "He's still alive, Tiff, so I'm not going to take that one. You should keep it or maybe burn it even because if he has something that important that he wishes to tell me then he has to tell me in person once I cure him."

A flicker of hope appeared in her eyes and brightened her complexion. "You're absolutely right." She turned around and slid the second paper back into the brown envelope then put the envelope back into her drawer.

"I have to make a few phone calls, you can sit here and perhaps read what he has to say," offered Tiffany with a smile before leaving me alone in her room. I had a feeling that she simply wanted to give me some time alone to read Ryker's letter in private which I deeply appreciated. Especially when I had no idea what he'd written. It could be really hopeful or incredibly sad. Either way, I felt that I would end up in tears upon reading it.

Once I sat on the leathered couch, I closed my eyes and took a calming breath. Reading Ryker's letter was more nerve-wracking than my school's report card or even the Book of the Damned. "Oh, gosh." I breathed out then reopened my eyes and finally looked down as I began to read.

Dear Xyrra,

It has been a year. How are you? How have you been? If you still read this letter then I take it that you still care for me. Despite how cruel my first and last letter to you was. If you are currently happy with your life without me, please stop reading this letter. I would even advise you to burn it this instant and forget this letter even exists. Or even better, forget me.

There were a few blank spaces there as if he was truly giving me a chance to burn it without ever knowing the remaining of its content. I continued to read since there was zero chance I would burn this letter.

When I told you that I rejected you as my mate, I wasn't trying to hurt you. It may be hard to believe but it is true. I rejected you so that you won't feel guilty about taking another man as your Chosen Mate. It does and could happen. My sister is one living example. She married someone who isn't her Fated Mate and she's still happy until this very day (I am very positive she is or else I'll come knocking on her husband's door).