CHAPTER 9: I'll ALWAYS CHOOSE YOU OVER EVERYONE ELSE

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" — Andrew Gide

•••

ALAINE DAVIES

"I'm Alaine" I answered the petite looking blonde girl before me.

Her back was turned as she conversed with John and his friends. They were all too engrossed in their conversation to notice my presence but that changed immediately my voice was heard.

They all turned to stare at me like deers caught in an headlight. I frowned and folded my arms, i was obviously the subject of their conversation and judging by their jittery states, it was a discussion they didn't want me a part of.

"Hey Al, what are you doing here?" John nervously asked.

"I have a class by 12 and it's almost time. I was coming to talk to you when I heard my name being mentioned here" I explained, making eye contact with everyone.

My eyes met with a familiar green ones and they widened in recognition.

"Shred?" I bellowed in bewilderment

"Hey, Alaine" He replied rubbing the base of his neck

"You guys are friends?" I asked looking between John and Shred

"Yeah, good ones actually"  John replied and Shred nodded in confirmation.

"Oh wow" I mouthed.

I had no explanation for the shock that plagued me but from the short time I had spent with each of them, they seemed too different to be friends.

I was about speaking when someone latched on to my arm, I turned my head to find Caroline, a friend from my department, clinging to my side.

"Class has begun, let's go" She whispered and I nodded

"Sorry, I have to go. I can't be late" I announced before walking away with Caroline by my side

I paused and turned around to glance at John, he sent a small nervous smile my way and I frowned.

"That was close" I heard Shred mutter and my frown deepened

Hmmn.

Class went by pretty quickly and I couldn't be more glad, I had to be home before three, I was babysitting my niece and nephew today. Their dad, my brother, was on a business trip and their mom went to visit her sick sister, so I was the only available one left. I didn't mind though, I loved spending time with those little munchkins.

Their school closed by three and the school bus usually dropped them off by past three or three thirty, I needed to be home before then to prepare their lunch.

"There you are. Finally, I thought that class would never end" John said as he approached me.

"How long have you been waiting here?" I asked

"Since the class began" He replied and I internally cooed. A grin slowly formed on my lips

"What's with the smile?" He said with narrowed eyes

"What smile?" I beamed even more

"The creepy one on your face, why are you smiling?" He raised a brow at me

"Because I'm happy"

"Why are you happy?"

"You waited even though you didn't have to, you could have left with your friends and escape being with me today" I said and he immediately looked away.