Ch. 69 || The Siren

Damien 🥀

"And after you were born, mother handed you in my arms to let me see you for the first time. You were such a little baby and I was a grown ass man— since I was immortal and couldn't age after hitting a certain mark— the moment you were handed into my arms, the first thing you did was to kick me in the face. Real bad." Cade tells Zaria about the time when Thora was born.

Zaria doesn't notice me standing behind by the door of the large bedroom. She is sitting on the edge of the king-sized poster bed and Cade is sitting across her on the large armchair. Lex occupied another armchair next to Cade. The room is large with dark panelled walls and red arch and large French windows. Even the plush blanket is in red and sheets in black.

After torturing Lucien, a little bit, I walked to the private wing of Vitalis to see how my wife is doing. Nothing good. She is still silent and her face pale, completely void of any emotions. Even though Cade and Lex are trying their best to distract her mind and make her feel good.

Lex laughed at the memory Cade was sharing. His laugh wasn't real, he is laughing for Zaria even though he is too suffering from inside. I appreciate him for that.

"As she should have, even I'd do the same." Lex retorted to Cade with a mocking chuckle.

Cade glared at him in response. "I mean, it's not my fault that you are so interested in me but I will throw you in the dungeon in the basement before you can even come close to me. And I don't make false threats."

Lex's cheeks reddened in embarrassment. "Ew, why the hell would anyone even be interested in you?"

Cade tilted his head back and gave him a smirk. "Ask the women."

Lex goes to retort him back but I cleared my throat, indirectly warning them to cut the bullshit and they noticed me. However, my wife still remained unfazed. This time her body didn't light up in excitement whenever she saw me or came close to me. She is still in shock.

Cade and Lex go back to talk with Zaria, trying to get any reaction out of her, which is a failed attempt on their part.

"Did she say anything yet?" Matteo walked to my left. I don't turn to look at him, my eyes are fixed on my wife.

"No. But you don't need to worry about that, your job here is done. You can return now." I say to him bitterly.  Our voices are low enough that she won't be able to hear us.

I know my wife is never going back to him, that's why I am not insecure. But I also know that Matteo is still in love with her and I am so selfish that I don't like the thought of someone else loving her romantically. I am selfish, I want her all to myself.

"Apparently, no. Some major obstacles have arisen and he wants The Hunters to take charge of it personally." Matteo declared from where he was standing. From my peripheral vision, I see him staring out of the window far at the corner of the room. He is clad in a dark navy-blue shirt and hanging his jacket in his forearm.

"I am aware. You and Cade need to elaborate more about it since I wasn't present at the conference." I demand icily.

Cade excused himself and walked towards us. The three of us walked across the enormous corridor that has dark red panelled walls and rose gold sconces hanging on either side. We get into the elevator and down to the 2nd floor. The elevator pings open and we walk across the wing of the second floor. Employees rush around to do their jobs. The floor is made of white marble, to either side are grand halls made for different training spaces.

I could see inside the rooms through the large glass shields. One hall has Assassins lined up in their black uniforms, following the instructions of their trainers who wear white uniforms. Another hall has students who are learning medical science. The other half next to it has a gun range. There are more halls like this on other floors, having different types of training spaces. All the rooms are soundproof, they can't hear anything from outside and we can't hear anything from inside.