Chapter 34

"Now let's go back to the castle."

"Yes."

Descending from Mount Philiac, they returned to the castle.

Vincent, the castle's butler, was busy with the long-awaited return of his masters.

He'd swept and scrubbed the castle inside and out since he'd heard they were coming, but it didn't seem to bother him.

In truth, neither did Killian.

The castle had been left to the care of caretakers, so it had no decorations and none of the luxuries necessary for aristocratic life.

'The castle itself is well maintained, but the decorations and furnishings are so crude. How much will Edith fuss over it?'

Despite being a despicable family, the wealth of the Riegelhoffs should not be underestimated.

The amount of money the family had spent on Edith's clothing alone was staggering, so the castle was no match for her.

'When I get back to the capital, the first thing I need to do is find a good upholsterer. I'll look into some tapestries and insignia...... and I'll have her look into other things.'

There's no time to lose, for I intend to come to the castle as soon as I receive the title.

If I have to come anyway, it would be best to come as soon as possible to check on the estate, and I don't like to think that problems might arise at the Duke's mansion because of Edith.

'I wonder if she'll have a hard time being away from the parties and luxuries of life. What can I do though? There are things she has to endure to become a countess.'

Come to think of it, Edith hadn't attended a party since her marriage. Maybe she'd get along just fine here.

If it got too hard, I could send her to the capital for the winter.

We'll make it work.

'She'll be fine.'

Despite his worries, Killian decided to look to the future with hope.

During his stay in Ryzen, he spoke in depth with his father about the problems of the estate and the direction they should take, and then returned to the capital.

It was a time when Killian's heart swelled with the thought of independence.

Though he didn't realize it, Edith was in the middle of all his thoughts.

***

The day of the long-awaited bazaar has arrived.

Killian, who had gone to inspect the estate he was to receive, returned yesterday, but I haven't seen him yet as he still has a lot to discuss with the Duke and Duchess since his return.

Not that he's obligated to report to me, but......

Fortunately, I was busy finishing my embroidery, so I didn't have time to lament his absence.

"Is this really okay?"

"Of course, miss. There are many noble ladies who have no interest in embroidery, so this is enough."

Innocent Anna had been suffering from my barrage of anxious questions for days now.

It's not like there's anything she can do about it now, but I've pestered her again and again, hoping to get a yes. I'd gotten some harsh criticism from Renon.

I made a few more, and then picked the three best ones for the bazaar, which didn't really stand out.

But as nervous as I was, the morning of the bazaar arrived and I was dead calm.