Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

"Adam Brodie," said Lung. "I choose you."

Adam glanced upward. "Thanks," he muttered.

Adam walked up to the wall. He looked at the rows of red bricks that made the wall.

"What am I supposed to do, walk through it?"

"How perceptive of you," said Lung. "That is exactly what I want you to do."

Adam turned and glanced at the other students. Those that were capable of smirking and sniggering did so. Malcolm looked bewildered as usual. Brigitte looked impassive and he was not able to see George as he was looking at the dragon end on. The Bug had no expression as his face was hidden.

"Adam, you must concentrate. Do not see the obstacle before but see a door. Reach out with your mind."

Adam felt he was about to do the dumbest thing he had ever done in his life. Yes he had already walked through a wall in the Nexus but Trinity had turned that to fog. This action was under his control alone. He could either walk through the wall or not and he knew the other students were waiting for him to smack into it. Then there would be cheers and laughter. He wondered if he was being deliberately set up.

Something inside him however said, go for it. After all what had he to lose but his dignity, and as he already lost Jake his dignity did not add up to much right now.

So Adam approached the wall and imagined there was a hole through it. He imagined he could see his way clear through to the other side of the wall and he kept walking. All of a sudden the room filled with gasps and cries.

Adam turned and saw the wall behind him. He had actually walked through it! Trembling he walked around the wall to the other side. Those students who had faces he could read were expressing awe and admiration. Brigitte grinned and gave Adam a thumb's up.

"Beginner's luck," said Master Lung tugging at his beard with a claw. "Alright then, I want each of you to walk through the wall. It is merely a state of consciousness. This is not magic. This is why it is called a science."

The other students tried to walk through the brick wall. Most bounced off and a few managed to enter the substance of the wall but for one reason or another got stuck in the bricks, and androids with hammers and chisels had to break them free. Adam had been the only one who managed to go all the way through.

When the last student had been chiselled free Master Lung slapped a great claw down on a flagstone.

"This lesson is at an end."

As the other students made their way out of the chamber Adam walked up to the dragon. He approached the beast with some fear and trepidation.

"I won't bite," said Lung.

Now he was so close Adam was almost overcome by the smell of rotten eggs. The dragon's head was colossal. The giant oriental eyes had the slit like pupils of a reptile and swivelled around to view him. Lung's nostrils spewed out thick white smoke that curled and rose to the ceiling. Adam felt a wall of heat waft out from the monster towards him. He gasped and his body prickled with sweat.

Adam couldn't help coughing so he bunched up his sleeve and pressed it to his mouth, speaking through it.

"My brother's vanished in the Nexus," said Adam. "You're the vice principal. Can't you find him?"

"I am aware of Jake's disappearance and the Nexus is doing everything it can. Rest assured Master Adam, we will find him."

"Like what? What are you doing?"

"Everything we can. Adam, there is an evil intelligence at the heart of multi-verse wreaking chaos and the cosmic champions are fighting it as we speak. I know that intelligence is involved in your brother's disappearance."

"What about the principal. Can't he do something?"

"The principal is organising the fight against the intelligence. Why that evil chose to take your brother is a mystery but we will prevail and Jake will be returned to you safe and sound."

Adam lost his temper. "I'll find Jake and I'll use this dimensional science."

"Adam you cannot use the power of moving through the dimensions outside this chamber until you become a cosmic champion."

Adam stormed out of the chamber. It had two vast, heavy doors and if he were able to do so he would have slammed them both shut behind him.