Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter Forty Eight

The day of the dinosaur dash between the three houses, Quasar, Nova and Red Giant, and seniors, arrived. The various teams were on their mounts and Adam was astride Apache. Despite the competition Adam felt confident and looked forward to the race.

Captain Trinity stood on the starting line.

"Rules are very simple. You race your mount to the finishing line. The course is set out by the androids. Follow them and you won't go wrong. No cheating. Any questions? No? Excellent."

Adam wore his helmet and belt. Both had been tested before each race and he had been assured they had not been tampered with. Malcolm rode up on his mount and they gave each other a high five.

"Luck, my friend."

He rode away to the starting line. Adam was about to follow when Clifford Watt rode up on his mount.

"I'm going to bury you Brodie. You hear me? Bury you!"

"Get lost," said Adam.

Clifford Watt rode away. Brigitte rode up.

"Watch him. He's never lost a race he's been in. I hear he cheats."

Adam looked at Clifford Watt taking his place on the starting line. Adam nodded, and then rode up to the starting line. Captain Trinity stood with his starting pistol and raised it in the air.

"Get ready, get set and..."

Some started to race forward but stopped themselves and cantered back.

"Not so fast. Go!"

He pulled the trigger of the starting pistol and it fired and the riders hurtled forward. However soon the best riders were out in front and very soon after that a few very good riders were putting distance between themselves and the main body.

They were Malcolm, Clifford Watt, with his yellow cape billowing behind him, and Adam. Soon Adam and Clifford Watt were out in front and were leaving Malcolm behind. Adam wheeled Apache around as he saw an android pointing to the right. Clifford Watt's mount very nearly stumbled.

"Stay on track you stupid beast!" Clifford Watt screamed.

Adam urged Apache on. "Come on, girl," he whispered. "We will nail this."

There was a sudden explosion directly behind him. Adam looked back and saw Clifford Watt was taking out grenades from his utility belt and hurling them at Adam. Clifford Watt urged his mount on with oaths and curses and pulled out a very large grenade.

"Anyone out there!" cried Adam. "I need help."

"On it!" Malcolm's voice crackled in Adam's helmet.

Adam looked directly ahead and saw a group of trees and wheeled Apache around. They passed another android and followed where the mechanical man pointed. Adam glanced back and saw Clifford Watt hurl the grenade at him. It struck the ground close to Apache and threw out dense smoke. Adam's eyes watered, his throat hurt, and Apache started sneezing violently.

Tear gas!

"Malcolm!"

"Almost there."

Adam urged his mount through the white cloud, steering the mount by instinct alone as he was barely able to see. He was coughing violently and his lungs felt as though they were full of needles.

They left the cloud behind them and Adam's eyes started to clear. He was aware of large pounding feet behind him. Clifford Watt was coming level with him and reached out a gloved hand towards Adam's shoulder.

"I have you now!" he rasped.

Suddenly something struck the side of Clifford Watt's face plate leaving a spider patterned crack across the video screen.

"What the...?" he demanded.

More armour piercing arrows whizzed through the air and struck Clifford Watt's helmet. Adam looked back and saw Malcolm astride his mount firing arrow after arrow at Clifford Watt's helmet. Brigitte was beside him on her mount and so was the Bug on his. The Bug handed Brigitte fist sized bug bombs from his utility belt and she fired them at Clifford Watt with her catapult. They exploded on the ground around the bully.

Clifford Watt did not have the control over his mount as Adam, and his dinosaur leapt and bucked and shrieked. Clifford Watt tried to calm the animal but was nearly thrown off. The last straw came when George descended from the sky and blew cartoon fire over Clifford Watt.

Clifford Watt flailed about the harmless and yet blinding cartoon fire. He lost control of his mount and the animal fled into the jungle taking its rider with it.

Brigitte waved at Adam. "Go and win, Adam! Make your house proud."

Adam gave his friends the thumbs up and turned his mount round and sped off in the direction of the finishing line. Adam thought it was good of Brigitte to sacrifice her chance of winning for her house but she wanted to upset Clifford Watt and the best way to do that was if Clifford Watt's hated enemy, Adam, won. It was soon over and Apache ran through the ribbon breaking it and taking part of it with her. Adam reined her to a halt.

Captain Trinity strode up to Adam waving a gold trophy.

"Congratulations Adam! You won for House Red Giant."

"How did you get from the start to the finish before me?"

"Duh," said Captain Trinity. "I teleported."

Clifford Watt came riding up.

"He cheated! He set his mates on me."

"You also cheated," said Captain Trinity. "We now keep an eye on each race since Adam got attacked by dinosaurs. The instant you began lobbing grenades at Adam you were disqualified, so take a hike."

Captain Trinity handed Adam the gold trophy.

"But I never lost a race," wailed Clifford Watt.

"There's a first time for everything," said Captain Trinity.

Clifford Watt stabbed a gloved finger at the super hero. His visor, despite the large spider crack, showed the Nexus being demolished beneath a falling pillar of fire.

"I'll have my revenge on you all!"

"Good luck with that," said Captain Trinity.

All of House Red Giant encircled Apache and Adam was lifted off the dinosaur and hoisted onto the shoulders of the cheering students. Adam punched the air with the trophy and let out a jubilant whoop.