Chapter Thirty Three

After Matron checked him over Adam and Malcolm had to go and write more lines with Miss Zzzz. Miss Zzzz had an annoying habit of clicking her claws over and over.

"Gentle monster," said Malcolm. "Would you not click your claws?"

She ignored him.

"You shouldn't have called her a monster," whispered Adam.

"But she is a monster," said Malcolm.

"No talking!" commanded Miss Zzzz.

After the lines writing, Malcolm went for archery practise and Adam went to his room and skyped his father who had already been informed about the chase through the jungle.

"You may not like what I am going to suggest next. Leave the Nexus and go home."

"I can't do that, dad. Not while Jake's missing. What about you? Have you tracked down Jake or found out who made him vanish?"

His father shook his head sadly.

"Sorry son. Nothing to report but I and the other champions are trying to find him."

"Dad, why couldn't you have rescued me when that dinosaur attacked. I thought you were keeping an eye on me."

"I can only do that if you are in your own universe. That's a good reason why I want you back there. While you are here it's the Nexus that looks after you."

"And they're doing a terrific job. Just like they did with Jake."

Adam's father shook his head. "Son, be careful. I mean it, be careful!"

"I'll have to won't I? The Nexus isn't doing such a good job."

The skype ended and Malcolm came in. He grinned at Adam.

"How's it going? My father and his Merry Men couldn't have done what you did. I couldn't have done what you did. Let me shake the hand of a true hero."

Adam extended his hand and Malcolm shook it.

"When I came to the place with the broken blue man I knew something had gone wrong. I saw the monster rushing through the forest. I didn't know it was after you but I sensed trouble so I called for help in the helmet. Nobody won that race. It was called off."

"Your helmet worked?"

"That it did."

"Somebody nobbled mine."

"Would that certain person be wearing a magic mirror around his face and stupid looking clothes?"

"I think it might."

Malcolm put a hand on Adam's shoulder.

"We got your back. I am the son of Robin Hood. I never step away from battle."

Adam was exhausted after what happened that day. He thought about Apache and wondered what happened to his mount. He soon fell asleep. The next morning he and Malcolm went to breakfast.

There was a murmur among the diners as Adam entered the dining room. From those beings who had faces Adam got admiring looks and from those without Adam felt something like admiration from them.

He came to his usual table.

Brigitte patted his shoulder. "You deserve a hero's breakfast. I'll get it for you. Tell me what you want."