Chapter Eighteen - I can't do this anymore

Don't play the song above until later in the story!
5 days later
Katniss POV

"Well here we are! San Francisco!" Finnick shouts from the front of the car. These past few days have been all a blur, I just remember crying and screaming a lot and my nightmares have been unbearable, I wake up in the middle of the night screaming and every night I here Peeta banging on my hotel door begging me to let him in so he can comfort me. I never do though.

We all pile out the car and check into our hotel, we're all out to separate to go to our own rooms when Finnick and Annie shout us back, "Not so fast!" Finnick says. "Yup we've got a surprise for you all!" Annie continues. We all look a bit confused before they both shout, "We're going to a ball!"

A ball? What the fuck? Are they trying to kill me? Do they hate me? Don't they know for a ball you need a partner? I quickly shout no but Annie drags me in my room and forces me to get ready she even bought us dresses! Wooo: sense my sarcasm:

About 2 hours later I'm finally ready and I do have to say I look good. You would never be able to tell I've been crying for the past week.

I'm wearing a light sunset orange dress that goes down to the floor, I've got the front of my hair pinned back in a half up-half down style which Annie has curled at the ends, and finally I've got a smoky eye, eyeliner, mascara, foundation and a nude lipgloss for my makeup.

Annie's finishing fixing my hair when I say, "Okay Annie stop!" She puts down the curling iron and comes round to face me, "What? What's wrong?" She asks worriedly.

"I can't do this Annie! I don't want to get dressed up, I don't want to go to a ball, ALONE I might add and I -"

"But you won't be alone" Annie responds.

"What do you mean? You and Finnick are going together, Delly and Cato are going together and Johanna and Gale are going together, the only people left are-" I trail off, they haven't, "Annie please don't tell me you've set me up with-"

"Katniss you need to hear him out! You two are meant for each other, it's undeniable, no matter what you do or how much you fight, your love always pulls you back together"

Just then there's a knock on the door, Annie runs and opens it despite my protest. Standing there is Finnick and beside him, Peeta with a shy smile on his face. I'll go to this ball but not with him. I push past them and go downstairs to find the others.

- play the song above now!
At the ball
Katniss POV

I'm currently sitting on my own while everyone's dancing to the music, then my favourite song comes on, it always reminds me of Peeta. Oh there's no point in me being here I'm sick of this shit.

I stand up and start to leave when I hear a voice behind me, "You're wearing my favourite colour." I immediately know who it is and I carry on walking until I hear someone running up behind me and they stop right in front of me. The person I was dreading to see.

"Katniss I know this is your favourite song, come on let's dance"

"No Peeta really I have to go"

"I'm not letting you get away that easy again" Peeta says as he grabs my hand and pulls me to the centre of the floor, I put my hands on his shoulders and he puts his hands on my waist making me feel a tingly feeling. We start dancing slowly to the music when he whispers it, "You know I didn't cheat on you"

This makes my eyes open wide in alarm, "What do you mean? I heard you" I question.

"No you heard what i wanted you to hear"

"You wanted me to think you cheated on me?" My voice loosing its steadiness, Peeta nods, "Why would you do that?"

"Because you hurt me Katniss" he pulls away from me and signals me to spin like all the other couples are doing, so I do, I pull back to him and he continues, "I planned that move for months because I thought it would make you happy and when it didn't it made me upset and angry, I was upset at you for not liking it but I was angry at myself for doing it, I love you Katniss, I just want to make you happy." Peeta finishes.

"Peeta I can't do this anymore" I say on the verge of tears, "Maybe these things that have happened are a sign. Maybe we're just bad for each other. Maybe we don't belong together. I do love you, I'll always love you, I can't imagine the day I won't. But you lied to me and hurt me more than you'll ever know." I say to him, crying now, I pull away from his arms, "I'm sorry" I turn around and run out the door.

I arrive at the hotel and I swipe my keycard in my door, open it but as I do someone grabs my arm and spins me around, bringing my lips to theirs. I can't help it, I start to kiss back, I shouldn't but I do, my inner feelings take over, next thing I'm being pinned against the wall and my dress is being taken off. I know those lips all too well. "I love you and I'm not letting you go again" he whispers. Peeta.