Chapter 10

The light of dawn peered over the horizon, its orange glow melting into the dark indigo sky. The ShadowClan cats raced through the awakening forest. Bloodpaw raced alongside Swiftpaw and Revengepaw, yesterday's dispute forgotten. There were bigger things for him to worry about. They were on their way to launch a surprise attack on ThunderClan.

Am I ready for this battle? Bloodpaw wondered nervously as he ran with his clanmates, the cold morning air rushing through his fur. Did Brownstripe train me well enough?

"I can't wait!" Revengepaw certainly seemed confident in himself. The hefty apprentice had been muttering to himself all morning. "I'll avenge Maplefur... Rip those ThunderClan cats to shreds!"

"Be quiet!" Cougarfoot hissed at him. The golden warrior ran close to his apprentice. "We're about to cross into Thunderclan territory."

Revengepaw cast his mentor a glare. "I'm just excited, that's all."

How can he be excited? Bloodpaw wondered, disturbed by the apprentice's eagerness. We're about to go into battle! Cats are going to be hurt! He looked beside him and saw a wary look on Swiftpaw's face. Bloodpaw guessed that he held the same concerns.

Unease ran through him as his clanmates began to cross the thunderpath. Bloodpaw hesitated before it, glancing into the distance, half expecting a monster to come roaring by to crush them. Revengepaw shouldered past him, along with several other warriors. Bloodpaw's stomach churned. I don't want to cross it!

Swiftpaw bumped his shoulder to his. "Don't worry, it's safe," He meowed. "Even the monsters aren't awake this early." Deciding that Swiftpaw was right, he hurried across the thunderpath with him, startled at how hard the stone was beneath his paws. How do monsters walk on this all day? My pads would fall off!

Bloodpaw grew very uncomfortable as he followed his clanmates into unfamiliar territory, ThunderClan scent wafting around him. He was surprised at the large number of bushes and trees that he had to dodge. ShadowClan territory was a bit more open. Suddenly, Depthstar waved his tail in signal. Every cat quickly stopped.

He drew in a deep breath. We must be close to the camp! The ShadowClan leader murmured something to Cobratail, then looked over his shoulder at his clan as though making sure that they were ready. Revengepaw flexed his muscles, a purr rumbling in his throat. It unsettled Bloodpaw. After a moment, Depthstar waved his tail more urgently in signal. They were ready.

"ShadowClan, attack!" Depthstar's yowl broke the silence dawn had held.

The ShadowClan cats immediately bolted forward after their leader, and Bloodpaw shot after them. Revengepaw let out a yowl and ran ahead of the other apprentices. As they hurried through the trees, Bloodpaw spotted the thorn tunnel leading into the hollow. The camp!

Two warriors who had been guarding the entrance let out startled screeches, rising to meet the ShadowClan attackers, but they were no match for the flood of cats. Timberstorm and Ashcloud each attacked a guard while the clan filed into the camp.

Bloodpaw raced down the rocks into the hollow, Swiftpaw behind him. Warriors streamed out of their dens, stunned as they blinked away sleep and launched themselves into battle.

"ShadowClan! We're under attack!" A brown and cream tabby yowled before leaping at Greenpine. In a heartbeat, the hollow went from silence to a bowl of screeching, battling cats.

He found himself face to face with a young tabby tom who immediately lunged for him. Bloodpaw immediately ducked, feeling a wave of satisfaction as the warrior soared over him, remembering when Revengepaw had used this move on him. Bloodpaw spun and attacked the tabby, sinking his teeth into his shoulder and bowling him over, letting memories of his training guide his actions.