Chapter 21

Just a little closer... Bloodfur thought, his yellow eyes fixed on his next victim. He crouched in the marsh, his belly brushing the cool earth. Come on... He waited a moment as his thoughts were obeyed and unsheathed his claws, springing forward. "Ha!" He pounced on the vole, swiftly lowering his head to deliver the killing bite. The little creature squeaked once, then fell silent. Bloodfur released it, licking blood from his muzzle. See? He told himself. That wasn't so bad. How can killing a cat be any different?

He'd had a few moments where he began reconsidering his decision to follow Deserve's order. He'd never killed a cat before. And this was exactly why his clanmates didn't trust him! If he killed someone, he would only be proving them right. But these thoughts never stayed for long. I don't want to prove them wrong anymore. He thought. I just want vengeance on them. Some of these cats deserve to die. He flexed his claws as he thought of Crowmask and Cliffshade. Especially them... But I'll take care of the medicine cats first.

"Nice catch, Bloodfur!"

He looked over his shoulder as Revengeheart approached him, flanked by Mistybreeze and Mottledface.

"Thanks," Bloodfur purred, blinking happily at the three cats. Growing up, he'd never had a lot of friends around him. These cats gave him a feeling of purpose and belonging that he'd never felt before. "Do any of you want to share?"

The white tom twitched his ear. "It's all yours."

"We're stuffed." Mottledface burped, swiping his tongue over his muzzle.

Bloodfur crouched and began eating his vole. He was always aware that he was breaking the warrior code when he ate his catch. He hadn't brought anything back for the clan in moons. But he'd done this so much now, it had begun feeling natural. He felt no wrong in doing it.

Beside Revengeheart, Mistybreeze twitched her ear and looked aside, seeming to have spotted something. She ran off into the marsh. Her mate glanced at her sharply. "What're you doing?"

Mistybreeze didn't respond, disappearing among the tall grass. Bloodfur paused from eating, watching curiously. A moment later, she returned with a large thrush in her jaws, lifting her head proudly.

"Wow," Bloodfur couldn't resist complimenting her. "Great catch!"

The silver she-cat dropped the bird at her paws and blinked at him, looking surprised. "Oh, thanks."

Revengeheart twitched his tail. "I've caught better." He shouldered her aside and crouched over the bird, ripping off a wad of feathers.

She didn't say you could have it. Bloodfur thought with an irritated twitch of his tail. And you could have complimented her. You're her mate, for StarClan's sake! When he and Revengeheart finished eating, the four of them returned to camp. As they emerged from the thorn tunnel, several cats looked at him.

"Bloodfur," Ashcloud grunted from where he sat near the fresh kill pile.

"Keeping him around the camp..." Cliffshade growled loudly enough for him to hear. "Does Depthstar have bees in his brain?"

Outside of the nursery, Ebonykit and Flintkit had been playing, their mother watching. But when Greenpine saw Bloodfur, she quickly murmured something to the kits, sweeping her tail around them and swiftly herding them into the nursery.

The three newest warriors, Spiderfang, Amberrose, and Falconclaw sat near the warriors den, practicing battle moves. Spiderfang spotted him. "Hey, Bloodfur!" An upper tooth hung past his mouth on each side like a bat's. His little fangs were the reason Depthstar had given him the name.