Chapter 31

Bloodfur breathed heavily as he ran through the damp forest, his paws skidding in the mud occasionally. It had taken him a while to reach ShadowClan territory. He constantly ran into enemies that he needed to fight through first. This made him more and more worried about sending Mistybreeze alone to WindClan.

I hope she's okay! He thought anxiously. Maybe Deserve's soldiers aren't there yet... But he knew that was unlikely. Mistybreeze is a capable cat. She'll be okay. His pelt clung to him, wet and sticky in clumps of mud, grass, and rainwater. His body stung in some places, telling him that he was injured. He figured it was nothing too serious if he was able to run, but he wasn't sure how much he was bleeding, if he was. He was so wet, he couldn't tell what was mud, water, or blood.

He crashed through the bushes and let out a startled snarl when he saw Cougarfoot up ahead with his back to him. He's Poisonedsap's mate. Of course he's on her side! He unsheathed his claws, preparing to spring at the warrior when he turned his head. Bloodfur was surprised to see that he was carrying Duskkit by his scruff.

The golden brown tom's eyes flashed with surprise and he lowered his head, resting Duskkit on the ground. "Bloodfur! I need your help."

"I'm scared," Gingerkit whimpered and padded out from behind his father, pressing against Duskkit.

"What are you doing with those kits?" Bloodfur demanded uncertainly.

Cougarfoot looked behind him toward the camp uneasily. "I'm taking them somewhere safe," He explained quickly. "The camp is under attack, and... Poisonedsap killed Leafkit and Rowankit."

Bloodfur's eyes widened. He'd known Poisonedsap was a bad cat. But to kill her own kits..! That she-cat was truly heartless.

"I was wrong about Poisonedsap," Cougarfoot meowed, pulling his kits close with one paw. "I was a fool to take her as my mate. Please, help me bring my sons to WindClan."

"WindClan?" Bloodfur blinked at him. "Why-"

"I can't let my kits stay here," Cougarfoot meowed quietly. "The clan will never forgive Poisonedsap for what she's done. They won't see Gingerkit and Duskkit for who they are. They'll see them as Poisonedsap's sons, and I won't let them grow up in a clan that will despise them for their mother's actions." He paused. "They would face the same prejudice every day like you did, Bloodfur. And no cat deserves to deal with that."

He looked at the two kits. He's right... The clan will be wary of all of her kits. Even Swiftstalker will have trouble earning their trust for a while.

Cougarfoot looked toward the moor. "In WindClan, no cat will know who their parents are. They'll be safe and treated fairly." He looked at Bloodfur hopefully. "Please, will you help me?"

Before Bloodfur could answer, Poisonedsap leaped out of the bushes behind Cougarfoot, letting out a screech of fury. "You piece of fox dung!" She snarled. "Those weak kits won't see the light of day again!" She lunged at the golden tom, and the kits shrieked in terror as they watched their parents battle.

Bloodfur shot forward, grabbing Gingerkit by his scruff and sweeping Duskkit close with his paw, pulling them away from the fighting warriors.

"I should have killed you!" Poisonedsap spat, slashing her claws across Cougarfoot's shoulder. "You're worth no more than Maplefur was!" Cougarfoot lunged for her throat, but she ducked and clawed at his side.

Bloodfur glanced back at them anxiously as he pushed the kits into the shelter of a bush. "Stay here, okay?" He turned to help Cougarfoot as the warrior yowled. Poisonedsap had pinned him, digging her front claws into his throat. The warrior struggled as blood pulsed from his wound.