Chapter 26

Bloodfur padded through the forest, a cool breeze stroking his fur as he moved. He was surrounded by his allies, cats from all five clans. He smelt the air. They were nearing Deserve's camp. When they reached the entrance, they were greeted by Papercut and Bonfire, who stepped aside to let them in.

When they entered the camp, Bloodfur saw many familiar faces. Sunset, the she-cat who had helped them in the attack at highstones was sitting near a den, speaking with Castiel. The healers of the group, Shimmer and Coco, were outside of their den, helping a young tom with a thorn in his paw.

"Greetings," Deserve padded over to them, his eyes glinting like emeralds in the night. "I hear the attack went well?"

Poisonedsap dipped her head. "Yes, Deserve." As she spoke, Castiel quickly joined his father, standing alongside him.

Bloodfur was still surprised that the she-cat had joined them. Her kits were less than a moon old, but she had insisted on leaving them to attend the meeting. She had asked Song, who had just moved into the nursery, to keep an eye on them. The young she-cat had asked many questions, none of which Poisonedsap answered. But eventually Song had agreed to watch the kits.

"Otterpelt and Silverberry are dead." Revengeheart told the rogue leader.

"Yes," Poisonedsap agreed, looking to Bloodfur and letting out a purr. "Bloodfur led the attack well. I'd say we were successful."

Bloodfur dipped his head, surprised to have gotten any praise from the stubborn she-cat. He noticed Revengeheart glare at him, lashing his tail. He's still mad about catching me and Mistybreeze in that moment. But he felt no need to try to resolve the tension between them. I can't say I'm too happy with you either.

Deserve looked at him and gave an approving nod, looking pleased. "Well done, Bloodfur." A low purr rumbled in his throat. "I knew I could trust you."

He felt a rush of pride at Deserve's praise. "It was my pleasure," He purred.

"Well," Revengeheart twitched his ear. "I wouldn't call it a success. Only two medicine cats were killed. Dewstorm, Creamheart, Spicewhisker, Sagefern, and Ryeheart are still alive."

"But Spicewhisker isn't well." Battalon flicked his black tail. "Sagefern has been coming by to check on him, and she says he might not pull through."

Deserve's eyes narrowed. "Good. But the remainder must be eliminated." He looked thoughtful for a moment, then looked at Bloodfur. "ShadowClan has two medicine cats at the moment, right?"

"One," Bloodfur meowed. "Dewstorm has left to fill in as WindClan's medicine cat."

"Now we have Creamheart." Mottledface paused before adding. "Brownstripe's daughter."

The black tom's tail twitched at the mention of the cat he had despised. "Really?" He growled. "All the more reason to kill her. ShadowClan must have no medicine cat. Bloodfur, will you do the job?"

Bloodfur hesitated. Kill my own medicine cat..? His stomach twisted. She's so young! He glanced up at the star speckled sky, beginning to wonder if the warriors of StarClan were really watching him. They told me "Only the spilling of blood will save ShadowClan. Revenge will guide you." He was spilling blood. His desire for revenge was guiding him. So surely that meant he was doing the right thing? Perhaps StarClan wanted the medicine cats dead for some reason. Maybe Creamheart had to die for him to fulfill StarClan's prophecy.

"Of course, Deserve," Bloodfur meowed, meeting the tom's gaze. "I'll take care of it tomorrow." He noticed Mistybreeze looking at him out of the corner of his eye, but he ignored her. She doesn't agree with any of this, and that's fine. But she should accept that I do.