forty three : cruel

Every night that summer just to seal my fate (oh)And I screamed for whatever it's worth"I love you, " ain't that the worst thing you ever heard?He looks up grinning like a devil

- Taylor Swift, Cruel Summers

^ Shanelle Elizabeth Bernucci ^

SUMMERS

I bit my lips to prompt myself from crying

I bit my lips to prompt myself from crying. I had no one to blame but myself. I did not have the right to cry or to console myself by saying I did not mean any of that to happen because it was not true. When I walked into that room, my mission was to do exactly what Tyler had said: have sex with Phraser. I had been so angry that I wanted to hurt him by doing it with Phraser.

One was supposed to be enough. If I had self-control and if it was purely my revenge against Ty, one sex should be enough to prove a point yet I had kept both of us busy until four in the morning.

Phraser was right. It had not been an accident. As much as I hated to admit it, I had used him to make myself feel better even if it was just for a few hours. He had the right to feel used, he had the right to feel hurt. I had been horrible to him. Not only that I had used him, but I also had harshly told him that all of that meant nothing.

Had it really meant nothing? I had no idea. I had no time to process how I felt about it or how I felt about Phraser. Just like a coward, I had thrown my words carelessly, trying to justify my own action, and in the process, I had hurt him.

Stupid. Stupid!

Deciding that I would need a drink to calm my nerves before I faced Phraser again and apologized for what I had said, I went to the hotel's bar. I ordered one glass of Merlot and told the waiter to put it on Phraser's room tab since I had stupidly forgotten to carry my wallet when I left the room.

The wine did the trick and after finishing two glasses without getting tipsy, I managed to find my courage.

I was so ready to go when I heard Luke asking him, "So is that why you broke up with Autumn?" I put my ass down and tried to duck my head as they walked past my booth and settled on the one right behind me.