thirty eight : late

If you think you have read this, well, you have but not this version. I just added 2K more words so you better read this version in order not to get confused when you read the next chapter! agatha x

Now, let's stop running from love
Running from love
Let's stop, my baby
Let's stop running from us
Running from us
Let's stop, my baby
— Troye Sivan, My My My

I waited impatiently, repeatedly tapping my forefinger on my left thigh, as the lift brought me to the rooftop. But once I heard the ding elevator sound, informing me that I had arrived, a sudden knot of panic kicked up the beat of my heart and tightened my stomach.

"Shït!" I groaned in frustration as I realized I had no idea what to say. To be frank, I didn't know why I rushed here either. There was no logical explanation. I simply had to see her.

I clenched my fists, telling my heart to calm down. A few ideas popped into my head. Maybe I should ask her about Steven. It was a safe topic. Yet I was reminded of the fact that I'd seen Steven in the lobby earlier talking to a brunette girl with glasses.

Damn. What should I say? What should I do so I could hear her voice one more time?

I blamed Flynn for causing a scene earlier. If I wasn't distracted, I would've seen Autumn. "Flynn!" I nearly shouted. Yes, I should tell her about the existence of my long-lost twin brother and apologize on his behalf for what he'd done to Steven.

I nodded to myself, determined to have a conversation with Flynn as the appetizer.

Though a few seconds later, none of it seemed to matter. The sight of Autumn wrapped in another guy's arms welcomed me like a kick in the stomach. I staggered backward until my back hit the mirror on the back of the lift. Once the doors slid closed, obstructing my line of sight, I slumped to the floor and stayed that way until the lift brought me back to the ground level.

"Good lord! Ty, what happened?!"

* * *

"So," Faith started and I knew what was coming. It surprised me that it had taken this long before she started asking questions. "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

I grab the neck of a Hennessy and tilted it as I drank the content. "It's too late, Faith."

"What do you mean it's too late?"

I was about to drink again but her hand grabbed the bottle and took it away from me. Faith took a drink, pretending like it was nothing although I knew she was helping me finish my drink so I would not drink as much. I was not an alcoholic but even I could tell that I was close to becoming one.

"I saw her with him." Closing my eyes, the image of Autumn with another guy slid into my head again and the pain it caused was too unbearable so I forced my eyes open. "They're in each other's arms. Both were in the pool." My head suddenly hurt and I used my thumb and middle finger to massage my temples, hoping each pressure would lessen the throbbing pain.

"Maybe they're just swimming." Faith shrugged one shoulder. "Maybe he was teaching her how to swim."

Shaking my head, I let out a deep sigh. "Autumn can swim. She's a brilliant swimmer."

Faith put one hand on my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Then maybe she was teaching him how to swim."

"Faith." I turned and looked at her in the eye. "I know what I saw. They looked at each other like, like..." I paused, trying to shake off the pain I felt in my chest. I hadn't been able to see how that guy looked at her but I had seen how she looked at him.