twenty : bad timing

Feels like we're on the edge right now
I wish that I could say I'm proud
I'm sorry that I let you down
Let you down
All these voices in my head get loud
I wish that I could shut them out
I'm sorry that I let you down
Let you down
— NF, Let You Down

TYLER 

It was around five P.M. when I heard my phone buzz. I put my pizza down and wiped my hand on the tissue before I grabbed my phone off the table. I groaned when I saw the notification on the screen. It was from Mario again. I was about to turn my attention back to my pizza when the phone buzzed again. This time, he sent a file.

I clicked it open and my breath caught. It was a photo of Autumn walking down the street. There was someone beside her but I couldn't see his face since the photo was focused on her and only showed his body up to his neck. I scrolled up to read his message.

Anything could happen anytime.

I froze. My body felt stiff and I could feel the blood drained from my face. When the phone rang, it took me a minute before I answered the call. "Hello?"

"Signore Vincent." I put the phone away and looked at the screen to make sure it was Mario's number.

I put the phone next to my ear and asked, "who's this?" He didn't sound like Mario or Santiano. I'd never heard his voice before and I had no idea who he was.

"You don't need to who I am." His voice laced with a thick Italian accent. "You only need to do the job. I don't give second chances, if you don't do what needs to be done, I'm going to blow the head of that girlfriend of yours." The man laughed and I felt my heart would stop anytime now. When he continued to speak, his voice sounded deep and dangerous, sending shivers down my spine. "You're a good employee but you're not irreplaceable." He ended the call.

I was still listening to the dial tone for two minutes before I ran to the bedroom and swapped my clothes. I shoved my cell phone into the back pocket of my jeans and put on my coat. I needed to move fast, I couldn't let anything happen to Autumn. She was too important. Too precious.

I swung the door open and stopped in my track as my eyes locked with a pair of hazel eyes staring back at me in surprise. "Ty."

Not wasting any time, I pulled her into a hug. I heard her muffled against my chest, "Ty, what's going on?"

"Nothing." I could feel tears pricking my eyes as I took a sharp intake of breath. "I miss you so much." I tightened the hug.

I felt her arms start to wrap around me. "I miss you too."

I kissed the top of her head before pulling away. We stared at each other for a brief moment and I saw love and affection in her eyes. "We should talk."

She nodded. "We should."

"But first, I have something to take care of." I opened the door and looked over my shoulder as I added, "Wait for me. It won't take long."

* * * * * * * *

Seemed to know my gloomy mood, the sky above has turned grey and started to drizzle. I pulled the hood of my coat over my head. The cool air seeped through the space in between the buttons, I shoved my hands into the pockets of my coat and hunched my shoulders against the cold as I sped up to the address Mario has sent me earlier.

It took me fifteen minutes to get there and by the time I arrived, I needed to bend down and steadied my breathing. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed Mario's number.

"Ciao?" He answered after a short while.

I swallowed hard. "I'm here."

I heard him let out a weary sigh and when he spoke, it almost sounded like he wished I didn't come. "Get inside."

My brain told me that this was a bad idea, it begged me to run, to get away from this place. I looked to my right, fifteen meters away from where the pedestrians were walking down the street of New York, unaware of my presence at the end of the alley. I turned my attention back to the metal door in front of me. I had no clue what was in there or who was waiting inside. I usually met Mario in the alley so this would be the first time I actually entered this building. My hand clasped the doorknob, ready to open the door at any time, but I was having second thoughts. I let my fear get the best of me.

Think about Autumn, Ty! Think about what would happen to her if you don't do this.

I gritted my teeth and took a deep breath as I turned the knob and swung the door open. It was dark inside, it felt like entering your house after being outside all day and realizing that you forgot to turn on the lights. Yet even though it was pitch black, I knew they were people, I could hear their breathing. My hands curled into fists as I stepped inside and closed the door behind me.

Once the door fully closed, leaving no sunlight to lit the room, I heard footsteps and then a blinding light filled my vision. I instinctively shut my eyes closed and opened them slowly.

In front of me, there were at least a dozen men standing in one line with baseball bats in their hands. I jutted my chin out and refused to be intimidated. I knew there would be consequences for declining a job yet a few hours ago, nothing really mattered but Autumn.

"I don't know if I should applause you or laugh at you," said a voice from somewhere behind the line. The line split into two, making a way for a man in his early fifties which I assumed was the big boss.

He was followed by a younger man, falling only one step behind. "Brave or stupid. There's a fine line between the two," sneered the younger man. He clicked his tongue and added, "shame."

"I'm sure Mario has warned you," said the older man. "There's no day off." He raised his hand and pointed his forefinger directly at me. "You are mine! Santiano has given you to me in compensation for his unpaid loan." His eyes squinted as he locked his gaze on me. "I've owned you! You're my property and you shall do your job properly because next time, I won't give you another chance."

I pressed my lips tightly, knowing that if I said something, I might not get out of this place alive. My heart hammered like a machine gun and I felt like a prisoner waiting for the gallows.

"Now accept your punishment like a man. I hope that will remind you not to make any more mistakes." He turned around and stopped in front of one of the twelve men standing. "I think two rounds will do." He spared me one last look before walking away.

The younger man started to turn but he paused and looked at me over his shoulder. "Good luck." Then he too was gone, leaving me with a dozen men with baseball bats. I looked up and prayed that I would be strong enough for what was coming.