twenty one : bruised

"Son of a bitch!" I heard someone cursed but I wasn't sure whether it was real or just a friction of my imagination

"Son of a bitch!" I heard someone cursed but I wasn't sure whether it was real or just a friction of my imagination. Being beaten up by a dozen men reminded me of that time when I was beaten up by Blake Ryan, the asshole who was working for Villain X, except that this time it felt a hundred times worse. Although each man only hit me twice, as instructed by their boss, those men were strong and each blow felt stronger than the previous one.

I felt a hand grasped my arm and started to shake my body. "Man, wake up." Another set of cursing. "Santa Madonna! I can't believe they did this to you. You're just a boy."

I tried to open my eyes but they kept fluttering as my lids felt so heavy. I felt so tired and worn out. After a full minute of trying, I was finally able to open my eyes. "Mario?"

I heard him chuckle. "Yeah, who else do you think?" He put one arm beneath my body to support me while the other grabbed my arm. "Come on, man. We gotta get out of here." I knew he wouldn't be able to carry me if I didn't help him so I forced my body to work and pushed myself up using both elbows as footing. We finally managed to put me in a sitting position.

"Why are you here?" I asked and couldn't help the sarcastic tone in my voice. "Why are you helping me?" For these last few days, he had never shown anything resemblance care or offered me his friendship. All he has ever done was ordering me around and scolding me when I wasn't on time. Now as I looked at him, trying to help me back on my feet, I had to admit that he wasn't the person I would expect to rescue me from this godforsaken place.

Mario crouched beside me, his arm was still supporting my back as if he was afraid I would fall back if he let go. "Does it matter? We need to get out of here. I'll explain everything later," answered him a deep low voice that I could barely hear.

I gave him a firm nod and let him support me all the way to his car outside.

Once we settled in, he punched my arm lightly. It was a very light punch but my worn out body screamed nonetheless. "What's that for?" I glared at him from the seat beside him.

He spared me one look as he put the key in the ignition and turned. "For being stupid. I've told you that you must come instead you were being stupid and refused to do the job." He waved his hand at my bruised body. "Do you think I want this to happen to you? I don't. But you made your goddamn choice so it's all on you."

We stayed quiet as he drove out of the alley and into the New York busy traffic. The sky above has turned dark and I wanted to kick myself for making Autumn wait for me. "What time is it?" When he didn't answer, I pulled out my phone and stared at my cracked screen. "Shit!" It was eleven PM. I've told her that I wouldn't be long yet I left her for nearly five hours.

She sent me several messages asking where I was. I quickly sent a reply, telling her that I wouldn't come home tonight and that she should have dinner without me.