twenty five : schemes

Never caught a feelin' this hard
Harder than the liquor I pour
Ooh, I fall apart
Down to my core
Ooh, didn't know it before
— Post Malone, I Fall Apart

Never caught a feelin' this hardHarder than the liquor I pourOoh, I fall apartDown to my coreOoh, didn't know it before— Post Malone, I Fall Apart

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

P H R A S E R

TYLER

"So, where is she?" asked Faith as we walked in front of the Columbia Business School building. After I'd walked out of the apartment, I'd been wandering around, basically doing anything I could to harden my heart so I wouldn't turn around and tell Autumn everything.

As I stole a glance at Faith's cheery face, a niggling sense of guilt rose within me. I always pride myself as an honest guy, one who wouldn't be afraid of telling the truth even when it hurt, yet today I'd lied to two persons. One was Autumn and the other one was still walking beside me without knowing what would hit her.

"Faith." I caught her arm and stopped her from walking any further. Autumn's class was going to be over soon and if I wanted this to work (and it wouldn't work without Faith's help), I needed to tell her now.

When I'd called her this morning, I hadn't told her about my plan. All I'd said was that I wanted her to meet Autumn and explain that we were just friends. Since she knew about my earlier issue, that sounded like a legit request. If she'd known that I wasn't planning on saving the relationship but ending it instead, she wouldn't have come.

"I lied," I blatantly said. There was no softer way of saying it and I didn't see any point in sugarcoating the truth. Her face looked confused as she glanced at the building in front of us then turned her gaze back to my face. "I want you to do something for me."

Her eyes narrowed slightly and when she spoke, her voice was sharp. "Do what?"

"Act like we're in love. Put on a show so Autumn thinks that we're together."

She looked at me as if I just grew a horn in the middle of my forehead. "Are you insane?" The frown on her forehead deepened as she continued, "you told me earlier that you wanted to fix things and now you're saying you want me to help you what?! Act like we're in love?" Faith cocked her head to one side and lifted her brow. "Did you knock your head on your way?"