10.

CHAPTER 10 - FAMILY

Alexia took a shower, changed into a pink blouse and a floral floor-length skirt. This time, she let her hair lay on her back after brushing it. She has just finished applying lip-gloss to her lips when she heard the sound of tires screeching to a halt. Sofia's excited giggles followed afterwards. Curious to know who just arrived, she moved to the window, parted the curtains and peeked out. Down below by the water fountain was a white pickup truck. Two tall and tanned men walked out and Sofia ran into the arms of the slightly taller one.

That must be Rees. She thought and watched Samantha walk up to the same man, and kissed him. Colin hugged the other man and then they broke into a conversation. Alexia watched the family reunion and suddenly missed hers. Turning away from the window, she tried as much as possible not to cry. She did not want to think about her family however, it was too late. Her mind was already playing the imagines to her.

Her parents were her only family and they loved her very much, as their only child. They always did everything for her and prayed that their little girl would become a successful woman someday. They did not earn much from the bakery they owned however, they made her feel like a princess. Alexia had always wanted to fulfil the dreams they had for her, but unfortunately, they did not live to see it. It was her second year in college -after she returned from a marathon study session at the library tired and hungry- that she received a call from a hospital, telling her that her parents were engaged in a gory accident and did not make it.

That incident shuttered her and left her feeling all alone. After she graduated from college, she used the insurance money her parents left her to rent a small place and start her work. Gradually, she got recognition and now she was Alexia Brooke of Brooke's Décor. The feeling of success was great, but it could never fill the void left in her heart by her parents' untimely demise. Every year for eight years now on their death anniversary, she goes to their graves to cry and pray that they were in a better place.

Alexia wiped a lone tear from the corner of her eye and glanced into the mirror to make sure her eyeliner did not smudge. When she was sure, everything was fine she opened the door and walked out. At the balcony, she saw the happy family moving into the kitchen, chuckling together. She halted at the stairs and thought it might not be right if she joined them. After all, she was only but an employee. Turning on her heels, she took a step and then a voice called to her.

"Alexia, where are you going?" She spun around and saw Samantha approaching the staircase. "The dining room is that way." She pointed to the direction she just came from with a sweet smile.

"Right, I am coming." Alexia descended from the staircase and walked side by side with Samantha towards the kitchen. They walked through the glass door then when they appeared in the dining room, all eyes turned in their direction.

The man she guessed as Rees was sitting at the head of the table with Sofia on his laps. The other man resembled the first. However, he was younger as compared to him. Alexia smiled. "Hi."

"You must be the interior designer my wife told me about." The carrier of Sofia said.

"Yes, Alexia Brooke of Brooke's Décor, nice to meet you." Alexia moved closer to the table and shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you too, Rees Kelvin." He then gestured to the other man. "This is my son Alec."

"Nice to meet you miss Brooke." Alec smiled.

"Please call me Alexia and nice to meet you too." She said and then her eyes strayed to Colin.

He was sitting two chairs away from Alec, with hands on the table and eyes on her. His blue eyes held some kind of admiration but lust was more evident. Slowly he assessed her by dragging his eyes over her silky blouse, which moulded her brassier and draped to her belly button, then to her skirt, which was translucent, but see through when one looked hard enough. And damn, he was looking as hard as he could.