23.

CHAPTER 23 - GOOD FRIENDS

The persistent knock on her door, made her rush out of the bathroom in nothing but a bathrobe, with a toothbrush slanted at the corner of her mouth. She reached the door and pulled it open. The person standing in her threshold caused her to furrow her brows.

Taking the toothbrush out of her mouth, she asked with a mouthful of toothpaste. "Daphne, what are you doing here?"

Without waiting for a reply, she turned her back and walked inside, indirectly inviting her in. Alexia moved to the kitchen and spat the foam into the sink. She then turned on the tap to wash it away. Moving back to the living room, she met Daphne.

"Madam, there was..." Daphne began, but Alexia cut in.

"Why aren't you in the office?"

"I was there and something bad happened." Alexia's heart gave a thud. Bile rose in her throat and she swallowed hard.

"What happened?" She asked.

"We have been robbed! Someone destroyed everything." Daphne dropped the news on her like a bomb and she gasped. "Everything was destroyed. The whole office is a mess."

Alexia thought she was going to get a heart attack. She could not believe it. Someone robbed her company! "They destroyed everything?" She gasped.

"Other offices were not severely destroyed as compared to yours." Her heart leaped.

"My office? W... well ... what did they t... take?" She stuttered.

"I don't know madam, that's why I came here to take you with me so you'll check and see if anything was taken."

Alexia quickly rushed to her room. She changed in a hurry into a grey shirt and denim jeans. Pulling her hair into a loose ponytail, she hurried to meet Daphne outside. The ride was fast, as Daphne knew how to maneuver her way through the town's traffic. They reached the office in ten minutes and then rushed inside.

Alexia was heartbroken to see the extent of damage, done to her company. Every breakable object was shattered. It took her a lot of courage and strength not to fall on her knees and cry. All the damage cost, millions, millions of dollars she would never get back.

It was horrible to think that someone would do something like this to her company. Who did this? What did the person want? Why did he or she destroy overnight, what she spent years building?

"Madam, its good you're here." A police officer said as she entered her office. "Can you tell us if anything is missing?"

Alexia's heart was in her throat. She could not speak. Tears burned her eyes. Her whole body went numb just looking at the mess of her office. The windows were completely broken, the desk was falling apart and her computer was now a piece of bended metal. She doubted they would be able to retrieve any information from it.

She looked around the office. "Is there anything missing, madam?" The officer asked once again and she shrugged.

"I don't know." Her mind was blank from the shock. "I don't know if anything is missing." She gasped, furiously blinking back her tears.

"Please think. There must be something." He insisted, but she was over, trying to think.

"I said, I don't know." She raised her voice and then wrapped her arms around herself. Turning her back to them, she made her way out of the door. She wanted to go far away from here and cry.

"Please don't insist on it." She heard Daphne say before she exited the office.

Alexia's head hung low as she moved, because she didn't want her employees to see how devastated she was about it. What would become of her company now? She was very sure the employees were asking themselves the same question. Will their jobs still be theirs after this?