34.

THIRTY-FOUR - A MEETING

What happened? How did she lose her memories? Was it because of an accident? Why did no one report the incident?

Colin could not stop asking himself these questions. Since the night Daphne told him Alexia lost her memories, he had not had a good night's sleep. Every night, he tossed and turned in bed, trying to think of what happened?

Had she been driving when the accident occurred? Was she run over by a car? Was she jogging along the street when a car ran into her? Did her head hit the floor? Did she bleed? How many days did she spend at the hospital? Was she in pain?

He wanted to know everything, but even Daphne did not have the answers to his questions. She was not there when Alexia had the accident. She only heard about Alexia from Sloan when Vulcan brought her to his company.

Colin knew that the only person who had all the answers to his questions was that man, Vulcan Alvaro, his mortal enemy.

For three weeks, Colin tried to find the whereabouts of Alexia and Vulcan. He asked around for their house, because apparently -they were living together-, but got nothing. He even tried to know the new location of Alexia's company, but no information. He was getting frustrated that he knew nothing about Alexia now, when one year ago he knew everything about her.

The continuous ringing of the telephone on his desk snapped him out of his trance and he picked it up. "Yes?"

"Sir, you have a visitor." It was his secretary.

Colin placed both elbows on the desk and rubbed his temple with one hand. "Does this person have an appointment?" He asked.

"Uh, no sir. But the person insists to see you."

Sighing, he glanced at his watch. The time was thirty minutes past four. There was much time left until the close of work so meeting one more client would not hurt. After all, he needed something to distract himself from thinking about what that Vulcan and Alexia could be doing now.

"Okay, let him in." He said and pushed the phone into the receiver.

The door suddenly opened and the person he least expected to see, walked in. It was not even a he, as he imagined, but a she. The woman moved towards his desk and left her handbag on one of the cushioned chairs in the office. Placing her hands on the table, she leaned over and said.

"I was waiting for your call for three weeks, Mr Knight. But since I got none, I decided to track you down. That's why I am here today, to ask why you did not call me?" Sloan looked straight into his eyes.

Colin was surprised by her boldness. Not many women could walk into his office and demand an explanation for something he did not do.

"So?" She said. "What do you have to say for yourself? I am waiting."

He folded his arms on the desk before replying. "I lost the card you gave." That seems like the perfect excuse.

"Okay." She stepped back. "It's understandable. You already mentioned that you are a busy man. Fine then, I will let it go this time."

Her gaze locked with his again. For a split second, her green eyes reminded him of Alexia. In fact, he saw a bit of Alexia in her. Their personalities were clearly different, so were their hair colour, but they both were not afraid of confronting him.

It took him a few seconds to realise that he had zoned out. He always got lost, thinking about Alexia. When he came back into his senses, he saw Sloan's cheeks fill up. Taking a file, he looked away from her and flipped through the document.