28.

TWENTY-EIGHT - THREE YEARS AGO

Dark clouds gathered in the sky and lightning flashed, while thunder clasped. It was gloom all day as if the weather understood that they were mourning.

Family, friends and sympathizers trooped into the cemetery dressed in black with matching umbrellas'. Everyone came to attend the burial of Lora Marshall, a beloved daughter, sister, friend and fiancée. Family were standing in the front row. Friends were in the next and so on.

The burial had started late, as they had been holding on for Lora's father to arrive. However, he did not show up. Everyone present knew why Mr Marshall refused to show up for his daughter's burial.

Lora's death had been a disgrace to his priesthood and the family at large since they were respected for upholding the Christian values. Mr Marshall had been shocked, but mostly disappointed when he got the news that his daughter committed suicide. It was not something he expected from his child, because he made sure to instil morals into all his children and made it clear to them that it was a sin to take one's life.

Mr Marshall knew that Lora was fully aware of this. Hence, he refused to attend the funeral of a sinner who would burn in the flames of hell for eternity. He would never attend a sinner's funeral even if it were his daughter's.

They shed tears while throwing roses down into the casket, which was being lowered into the earth. It was after everyone left the place and the grave, sealed that Lora's ex-fiancé showed up.

Dripping wet from the rain that was now pouring down heavily, he arrived at her grave with her favourite flowers, tulips. His eyes were red from crying so much. Ever since he heard what happened to her, two weeks ago, he had not stopped crying.

He could not get the feeling, that her death was his fault, out of his mind. He blamed himself for it. He knew it was his fault. If he had not lied to her from the start, she would not have found out the truth and then called of the wedding and would not have gone to slash her wrist in that hotel room. In short, Lora would still be alive.

He fell to his knees and clutched the bouquet in his hands. Throwing his head backwards, he screamed in anguish.

"Lora, why did you do this? Why?" He cried and pulled at his hair.

Thunder cut through the dark sky while the water droplets increased. He spat water out of his mouth and allowed his head hang low.

"Lora, I am sorry. I am very sorry for what I did. I should not have lied to you. I am sorry." He cried. "Please, forgive me."

He asked, even though he knew it would never happen. After all, Lora was dead and buried now. He would never truly get the chance to beg for her forgiveness.

Footsteps came up from behind him, before a hand fell on his shoulder. The person raised an umbrella above his friend's head and then spoke.

"Let's go, Colin."

PRESENT TIME

"Alexia?" Colin called to get her attention because she zoned out during their conversation.

Blinking two times, Alexia snapped back to reality. She was distracted by what that mysterious woman told her at the parking lot. Looking up from her ice cream cup, she glanced at Colin and then what she said rang in her mind.

"Don't be fooled by his words."

"Don't be fooled by his actions either."

"Alexia." He called her name again before she realised that she had zoned out again.