Chapter 19

MONIQUE

"I'm proud of you, Sissy." Kitty whispered when we were outside Anika's house. I didn't know what had gotten into me, but when she was about to get some food, I grabbed her arm and told her that we needed to go somewhere and it's really important.

She wasn't even surprised when I told her whose house is this. She said that she was sure that I would change my mind and apologize to Anika. At least, one of us was not surprised. Because if you'll ask me, I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do. Or if I can do a proper apology. I'm not really good with words. But there's no backing out now since Kitty already pressed the doorbell because my hands were shaking since we arrived here.

I don't know what I'm feeling right now. My heart is beating so fast and I'm feeling nauseous. I'm having cold sweats, and I think, I'm going to throw up. Damn, what the hell is happening to me? Am I getting sick or just nervous?

Her father was the one who opened the door. I've seen his pictures in Anika's room. When he looked at me, my knees felt like jelly so I held on Kitty's arms for support.

"Good evening, Sir. Is Anika there?" my best friend was the one who asked since I couldn't find my voice. C'mon Monique, stop acting like an idiot.

Her father smiled at us and said, "Baby, you didn't say that you've invited two more friends to join us tonight." Friends? Her friends are here? GREAT! "C'mon in, girls. I'm glad that Anika's been making a lot of friends this year. They'll be excited when they see you here. " he said and motioned us to follow him.

Oh yeah, they'll be ecstatic to see us. Please note the sarcasm. I could feel that her friends don't like me. Well, you wouldn't like someone who's be tormenting you every school year, right? And I supposed they all know about everything that has happened to me and their friend. I could see from the way they were look at me.

I don't think this is a good time for Anika and I to talk. I'll just try to talk to her tomorrow.

I looked at Kitty to whisper that we should get going and just comeback some other time, but she was so excited to enter the house and walked alongside Anika's father. She really wants me to do this now. UGH!

I took a deep breath and followed them inside the house. This is it, Monique. You can do this.

As expected, all of them were shocked to see us, well, besides her parents and the new girl. She was smirking at Anika so I discreetly clenched my fists. Of course she's here. Such my luck.

Then she looked at me with a smug smile. Oh bitch, you're just lucky that Anika's parents were here, or else.

When I looked again at Anika, her eyes were emotionless when she acknowledged my presence.

"M-monique." she muttered.

"Erm. Baby, would you like to introduce us to your other friends?" her mother said to ease the tension. They could feel it, I think. I saw them looking at me and their daughter.

"Sorry mom. I was just a little overwhelmed by their presence. I didn't think that they would join us tonight since I know that they have a cheer practice every Monday. I was really SURPRISED to see them here." yeah, there was an emphasis on the word 'surprised'. "They should've texted or called me so I'd be informed, right?" she reproached while looking at me.

"I don't have your number." I uttered. "But it's fine. I'm sorry if we went here unannounced, but we can go. I didn't know that you have company." I eyed Charlie who's just smiling at me. Oh, I hate her! "I-We just came here to ask you about something, but I think, we'll just do that tomorrow." I said. "Mr. and Mrs. Lopez, we'll just go ahead." I politely told her parents who giving us amused looks.