40.| She Has Feelings Too

He rushes to Alex who remained with her eyes closed, slowly giving up on fighting off the deadly liquid flowing into her veins. Keith yanks the needle out of her vein causing Alex to jerk into existence.

"Keith?...it's just another stupid dream-", Alex begins saying before she lightly gets slapped by Keith.

"It's not, so wake up and let's get out of here. DeVito's probably on his way over here anyway."

Alex wobbles out of the chair, hand on Keith's shoulder as she regains her balance.

"Let's get you out of here Mary Sue.", Keith says just before Alex yanked her arm from around his neck and backed out of the room; leaving Keith puzzled.

"I've got to finish what DeVito started."

"What'd you mean-wait a minute...you haven't become one of them have you?"

Alex shakes her head.

"No...what I meant to say was that I have to end the corruption of this agency."

"You want to kill DeVito, don't you?"

"If I didn't have to, I wouldn't but since I have to, I do."

Keith nods in approval just as Alex turns around and begins walking off.

"Well, I'll meet up with Arthur and then return.", Keith yells after Alex.

She looks over her shoulder with a small smile.

"Mary Sue!", Keith calls causing Alex to pause in her tracks before he walks up to her and engulfs her in a hug, "Be the real badass, Mary Sue for me today and be careful while doing it."

She nods with a meager grin before Keith pulls away and plants a small kiss on her forehead as he slowly backs away from her.

Alex inhales and exhales a shaky breath as her hand clutches the doorknob of the room DeVito had brought her into when she had arrived; unsure of what to do when she would open it. But her thoughts were brushed away as the sound of feet stomping up the stairs approached.

Alex gave the stairs a quick sideway glance before she scurried into a small darkened corner near the edge of the stairs just as the man she was expecting to see pops into view; and all alone. She stands and without hesitation lurches at his back; tackling him to the ground.

Yet the manpower of this guy was underestimated as he quickly launches two fists into Alex's stomach and escapes from her grip. With not a word spoken DeVito quickly flees up the stairs while unbuttoning his silver tuxedo.

Alex quickly recovers just after Devito slams the door shut after himself, allowing a cold rush of wind to sweep over Alex making her wonder what really was behind that door. But doubting wasn't going to help her finish DeVito off and get the hell out of this place so she blindly runs up the steel stairs and pushes the door open; exposing her to the roof of the three-story building.

She steps past the door and continues walking towards the air-cooling machine that had just whirred to life. The door slams shut causing Alex to spin around on her heels as DeVito reveals himself from behind the door; his silver tuxedo removed exposing his white dress shirt with its rolled up sleeves.

"There's no way of escaping Natalia, the door locks from the outside, so now...as you wished...it's just me and you. Show me what you've got.", he says slowly circling around the edge of the roof with his famous dark grin.

"Shouldn't be so confident in yourself DeVito.", Alex says, growing very suspicious of his next move as she slowly starts backing away from him.

As both of them circled the roof; unsure of the other's intentions, DeVito decides to speak up.