Twenty five

A/N: Considering this chapter is about Naru and Kakashi starting all over again, this song is perfect for them! Anway onwards!

**

Naruko heard Kakashi stir and quickly knelt by his side. "Kakashi?" she called as his eyes fluttered open. Kakashi groaned as he gripped his head, his mouth uncomfortably dry as he pushed himself up and looked to the beautiful blond. "How long was I out?"

"Not that long, maybe a few hours"

"Oh"

Naruko looked sheepishly at the man. "I'm sorry, Kakashi. But you should know that I see you holding back and I---I don't know, I just got mad" she stared at him pointedly. "You've been acting odd lately"

The man in question sighed and stretched his back. "Maah, I guess I have been but I'm not the only one little fox" looking back at her just in time to see her roll her eyes at the nickname. "I know that weasel is Itachi Uchiha. I was his captain in ANBU and gave him his mask"

Seeing the signs that Naruko wanted to flee Kakashi added quickly. "He was my greatest operative for the longest time and he had my respect. For the longest time I didn't believe that he massacred his clan. I knew he loved his clan and the village. Out of all the shinobi in the village I've come to know, Itachi was one of the few to harbour the will of fire greatly"

He saw her smile fondly, her eyes giving her a faraway look. "That's just Itachi, he's always been so amazing. So very, amazing" she whispers more to herself to to him. Kakashi nodded but couldn't help feeling the slightest bit of bitterness towards Itachi because of Naruko's strong admiration for him.

They were quiet for a while. Then Naruko broke the silence again. "What made you change your mind? About Itachi killing his clan?"

"Seeing Sasuke for the first time" Kakashi answers with a dejected huff. "The look in his eyes were so much...too much. But it wasn't until Itachi captured me in his ultimate genjutsu that I began questioning his motives again. If I was in the same genjutsu Sasuke was placed in it would explain much but....there was just so many blanks to fill in. I became nuetral about it"

Naruko sucked in a deep breath. "He was ordered to....by the elder council" meekly hiding her gaze from his questioning look. "The Uchiha clan--was planning a coup against the village. And Itachi...."

"Was the Elder's spy"

Naru shook her head. "He was the old man's spy but the elders" she released a low growl, not realising angry tears were gathering around her eyes. "They went behind his back, and ordered Itachi to iradicate his clan. But he couldn't finish Sasuke. He took him to Jiji instead and asked him to keep an eye on Sasuke. He came to me next, he told me everything and made me promise to watch over Sasuke and keep him loyal to the village" Naruko released a heavy sigh, suddenly looking very tired, as if she could pass out right there and then.

"I had begged Itachi to take me with him. I didn't want him to leave me alone. He was all I had, the only one to ever make me feel so--" a soft smile graced her features, she hugged her arms and closed her eyes. Imagining herself to be in his arms. "Safe"

She didn't notice Kakashi turn rigid, nor notice the hurt expression on him. How could she when she had her eyes closed? Top busy in her little world to pay attention to what was happening in the real world. "He was my protector, he had watched over me and took care of me. Loved me" redness covered her cheeks turning into a lovely blush.

But then her smile faded. "I was so furious at Itachi and the old man and I began to despise Sasuke"

Kakashi listened intently. His bitterness and resentment towards Itachi had disappeared as soon as Naruko's smile vanished as well. He couldn't even bring himself to be mad at the guy anymore, he'd rather endure her praising Itachi while smiling rather then sitting beside him quiet and sad looking. "Did you hate Sasuke because Itachi asked you to watch over his brother?" Kakashi asked thoughtfully. "You were just eight years old"