Incident 8: Showdown

Everly turned around as if she had just seen her life saviour. Earlier when she saw the fireball coming her way, she felt extremely terrified. Who wouldn't be?! And now Mason has just used his powers to help her. Everly felt that at the moment Mason looked quite pleasing to the eyes as he stood there in his black clothing, with back mist surrounding his arm. Though the impression didn't last long.

"If I remember correctly, this isn't the trouble I left you in. Aren't you supposed to be in the stomach of the man eating plant?" Mason's gaze was calm and unhurried.

Everly felt her eye twitch.

"You're too late then. I already took care of that plant. Do you think a single man eating plant can get the better of me? Aren't you taking me too lightly?"

Mason turned his head as if pondering over her question.

"You were just about to be turned into burned meat. You're really asking me that?"

Everly felt provoked but she had no means to retort because he was right. If he hadn't come in time, she really would have been burned to death. On the other side, a certain someone who was being thoroughly ignored was feeling very bitter. He focused his cold eyes on Mason's face.

Mason felt his look and gazed at him but his expression remained unchanged.

"You really like chatting with strangers don't you?"

"Ofcourse not! I was just going to ask him for some directions because I thought I was lost. But this guy started attacking me the moment he saw me. I don't even know how I offended him."

o(╯□╰)o

She gave the man a cold look of her own.

"Now what? Don't dare to attack me now? Did your lousy fireballs extinguish in fear?" She said fearlessly. A smirk dangling on her lips .

Mason felt amused looking at her. Now that she knows that he is behind her, she goes as far as provoking the man herself. Mischievousness flashes across his eyes as an idea came to his mind. He spoke.

"You seem pretty confident that you'll deal with him. I'll go ahead first. Follow me when you're done with him." With that he turned back to walk away.

Every froze and quickly turned back.

"Wait what?! No-No-No-No-No, don't go! Come back here. You can't leave!"

Mason stopped and looked at her, pretending to be confused. It almost drove her insane.

This bastard!!! (╯‵□′)╯(┻━┻

After looking at the two of them bicker constantly, the man almost decided to pack up and leave.

(ᄑ_ᄑ)

"You two really wish to die here?" A low voice came to their ears. A voice capable of sending shivers down ones spine. It was filled with malice and thirst for blood. Just as he spoke, Everly was surrounded by a red light. A circular ball of fire enveloped her and she was lifted off the ground. She yelped in surprise. (°Д°)

Mason narrowed his eyes and stepped closer to them. When the man caught sight of his face, a trace of recognition flashed past his eyes. The man sneered as he closed his hand, the fireball surrounding Everly shrunk a little.

"It's you?" He gave a menacing laugh, "Just what is our "Almighty" Lord Orion doing by saving an ordinary girl like her?"

Ordinary?! In what way do I look ordinary? I would have been voted as the prom queen back in school if it weren't for...other prettier girls.

Mason shrugged his shoulders. "She's my guest. If I let someone just casually harm my guests, it wouldn't be too good for my reputation." The black mist expanded and surrounded the whole of his body. A turquoise glow appeared in his eyes.

The man snickered as a huge wall of fire formed behind him and numerous balls of fire rushed at Mason. It was a pretty overwhelming scene for a bystander. Mason, on the other hand, seems unperturbed as he casually flicked his hand and a turquoise shield formed in front of him. The fireballs hit the shield before exploding, leaving rubble behind. It caused the ground to shake due to the impact. The shield was able to ward of the fireballs with ease.

"My turn." Mason said with a chuckle. He was in a hurry to end this fight because if he stretched it for too long, Everly might get hurt inside the fireball. She doesn't even have magic that she can use to keep herself safe from the heat.

Talking about Everly, her situation at that moment was something like this. She was gazing at the battle happening in front her with awestruck eyes. She wasn't even feeling the torturous heat that the person inside this ball of fire should feel. She stood in the ball of fire and pressed her hands against its inner surface. If anyone saw her at the moment, it would seem like she was watching a show instead of behaving like a person trapped in a fire prison.

(✪ω✪)

While in the battle, Mason disappeared in the blink of an eye and reached a few meters away from the man, he stretched his hand and a black light shot out towards the opponent. It carried a bright valour and a strong force. It hit him square on his chest and he flew back ten metres and made a bang sound as he hit the ground. Just this simple exchange had led them to seeing who was more powerful.

The man stood up again, gracefully. During the whole battle, he did not loose his composure in the slightest. He knew that he couldn't win against Mason so he chose to use the other method.

He glanced at Everly as an evil smile appeared on his lips. He gripped his hand and the ball of fire began to shrink at a very fast rate.

"You still think you can win against me like this? Just give up." Mason spoke up as he gave a quick glance towards Everly.

"Oh? Aren't you going to try saving this little princess? Or else soon, there will be nothing left of her but some burned meat."

"You are just hurting someone innocent without any reason. Do you like to kill people randomly? That's not a very human thing to do." Mason placed his hands behind his back as if causally chatting with the other person. Although the black mist seems to have grown thicker around him.

Meanwhile, when Everly saw that the ball was shrinking, she panicked.

Is he going to crush me? Damn I don't want to be crushed! She started banging on the surface.

The man snickered after seeing her.

"It's no use doing that. You can't get out of it, you'll just burn your precious hands-" he stopped as a bizarre scene happened in front of him.

The surface Everly was banging cracked. Even Everly was astonished but it soon turned into jubilance. She positioned her fist and hit the surface as hardly as possible. The surface cracked open and the whole ball collapsed. She fell to the ground with a thud.

The man stared in horror. There was no way that just anyone could break the ball of fire formed from heavily concentrated magical energy. Not with just a fist?!

∑q|゚Д゚|p

Mason raised his eyebrows in surprise. His gaze on Everly turned complex.

The latter was sprawled on the ground with arms and legs spread. Everly felt the soft flowers underneath her and felt very happy. I'm free!

(T▽T)