Apprition 4: Unique Method

Seeing the metal react this way, the young man was flabbergasted. Usually, metal wouldn't give such a response when brought in contact with water, so what was happening right now?

The Elder gave the young man an indifferent look and said, "You Fail."

The young man and his father had a very ugly expression of their faces. No matter how much he thought, he couldn't figure out why the metal reacted that way. He wasn't in the place to talk back at the Elder and could only walk back to join his father.

"I'm sorry Father, I failed." He was regretful and began doubting his knowledge and the hard work he had put in these past few years.

The in-charge sighed ruefully and glanced at the Elder sitting at one corner. It wasn't that the young man hadn't worked hard enough, it was just that he had the misfortune of having Elder Sean take their exam on this particular day. The metal that the Elder has given to them was recently discovered. The Blacksmith Pavilion had tried to use it to forge weapons as its heaviness and strength are very suitable for making swords for those warriors and soldiers.

This metal wasn't hard to refine but in the last process of cooling, the metal would create sparks and disintegrate in water. To think of a suitable method to cool this metal, the Pavilion has set up a great reward for those who can think of a method. From this alone, It can be clearly seen, how much importance was being given to this issue.

The young man knew that he failed but he wasn't in the hurry to leave. He glanced at Everly who was standing at a distance. He gave her a mocking look. He hoped that she could fail as well, only then would he feel a little better.

Everly, on the other side, didn't pay him any attention. She was looking at the piece of metal with a curious look in her eyes. A faint smile was playing on her lips.

If I'm not wrong then it must that metal...

Everly had seen metals like these in her previous life. Moreover, she had even forged them countless times and her teacher had made her study many metals in depth along with different methods to forge them.

And here she thought that the Exam might be very difficult. She even felt like laughing out loud but that would be inappropriate at that moment.

Everly walked up to the table under everyone's eyes and stood in front of the metal. She folded up her sleeves and got to work. Her previous smiling face was gone and in it's place was a sharp and concentrated expression. It was like her whole demeanour had changed.

The Elder who had noticed this change, raised his eyebrows in surprise. It must be known that it was usually men who take up the profession of a Blacksmith because of the strength required for forging. Men were usually superior in this aspect so the Elder wasn't holding much expectations.

Little did he know that Everly's teacher had never discriminated against her with his male students and taught her with the same strictness. He had payed her extra attention in order to not only improve her forging but also so she could surpass his male students.

After heating up the metal in the furnace. She took it out and picked up the hammers. The two hammers felt very light in her hands. Everly was surprised and looked at the hammers. The hammers aren't supposed to be this light.

Are these hammers hollow?

Seeing her momentarily pause, the father-son duo felt like gloating. Everly sensed their unpleasant gazes and rolled her eyes. Just wait till she passes, that'll show them!

She raised the hammer and gently hit on the metal first.

Ding!

After hearing that sound, Everly's eyes shone. She knew what sort of metal this was! If earlier she was doubtful then now she was sure.