Demon Race 11: Parting Ways

Everly and Aluci stared at the unconscious monster with eyes bursting with curiosity. Aluci was concentrating hard and tried to figure out the origin of this monster. He stopped after a while and stared blankly at the monster.

"Did you get something?" Everly asked a little nervously; Aluci's expression looked both confused and terrified.

"Yeah..." he turned to Everly. "It's a Human!!!"

What?

"So...not a monster?!" Everly questioned. Aluci shook his head exasperatedly.

"No! It is a monster!"

"What do you mean?! How can this be a human and a monster at the same time?!"

"I never said that it is from the Monster Race." Aluci raised an eyebrow. Everly frowned and felt like pinching his ears in frustration.

"You just said...said..." She groaned and said, "Just tell me; is this a human or a monsters?"

"Human."

"How can a human become like this?" Everly put a hand on her chin and frowned. Aluci bit his bottom lip and said a little reluctantly.

"He became a monster..." he immediately saw Everly's expression worsen so he added quickly, "But! He's not like the monster you saw at the dragon lake! They share a few similarities in their constitution but otherwise, they are completely different."

Hearing this explanation, Everly understood some of it. A human that shares traits with a monster. How did they come about? While she was thinking, a low growl came from behind them. Everly and Aluci turned around immediately, with their guards on.

Another monster human was staring at them with hungry eyes, ready to pounce. The moment Everly saw his face, she was shocked! Isn't that the attendant she met at the auction?! The one who wouldn't let her enter the VIP hall? How...how did he turn out this way?!

A sudden realisation struck her as she looked behind them. The hoard of monsters attacking the city people, are they the locals too? But how- Everly's eyes widened as she remembered the words of the black robed man.

Didn't he say something similar? About turning people into monsters? Have they begun their plan so soon?

"Is there...any way we can save them?" Everly asked.

Aluci placed a hand on his chin.

"There isn't."

Everly and Aluci jerked and looked behind. They saw Leome standing a few feet away from them. His eyes were grim and gloomy.

"What do you mean?" Everly asked.

"These people were injected with the incomplete formula from the Golden realm and until we find the antidote, these people can not be reverted back to their normal states." Leome said and turned around. "Let's go Lady Everly, our Lord is searching for you and it's dangerous for you to stay here for too long."

Leome started walking but Everly remained still, her hands clenched into fists and eyes closed.

That's right Everly, you are nothing but a weakling in this world.

No power, no abilities nor was she a genius of any sort. How is a spell breaker such a great deal? There are thousand other ways to kill her. Getting reborn just to live a life where she is protected by the people around her. What is the use of a another life when she can't even protect herself.

"Lady Everly?"

"Yeah? Hm I'm coming." Everly's eyes were dim and she silently followed Leome to wherever he was taking them.