32

"Michael!" Whitney calls to him as he is going to his study. Whitney is in the entry hall making her way from the kitchen to the sitting room when she spies Michael walking.

It's been nearly a week since she lost the baby and she's feeling much better. Still not up to full speed, but fairly close to it. She's even started exercising once more. She's even started Carmen on the basics of pole dancing.

But Michael has stayed away from her this entire time. That needs to end now.

Michael stops as soon as he hears her call his name. He closes his eyes and waits for her to approach him. He can't seem to make himself turn towards her.

"We need to talk Michael. This has gone on for too long."

Michael nods, "Please, come into my office where we'll be able to talk in private." Michael ushers her ahead of him. He makes sure that she is comfortable before taking a seat himself.

"How are you doing, Whitney?" Michael asks. He has only been getting the barest of reports from the staff members. John hasn't talked to him about her at all. He can't really blame him. He's just lucky that John hasn't stopped talking to him completely.

"I'm much better, thank you Michael. The doctor says that there shouldn't be any problems in the future as long as I maintain a healthy body weight and eat healthy."

Michael visibly relaxes at her words.

"He also said that the hemorrhaging wasn't anything caused by external factors. I would have lost the baby that night no matter what. I was just too stressed by earlier events and my body just couldn't handle it. I had been having cramping before it just wasn't hard enough for me to pay any attention to it due to my high pain tolerance.

"You were not at fault, Michael, and I need you to stop avoiding me. It's making things difficult and awkward around here. Since Carmen is now living here we should start eating in the huge ass dining room that sits unused. I've always wanted to have family dinners. I vaguely recall having them when I was a child. We can't have family dinners unless you and I can be friends again." Whitney tells him more than a little exasperated.

"You forgive me?" Michael asks more than a little shocked.

"As long as Carmen has forgiven you, I'll forgive you. But if you pull something like that again I will kick your ass, do you understand?" Whitney tells him completely serious.

Michael gives her a faint smile, "I'm sure that you could too. You've come a long way since we took you away from that hell house, Whitney. I'm glad you aren't afraid of me any more."

"Thank you. I feel like a completely different person now than what I was then.

"But I do wonder about the arrangement we had. Do you or don't you wish for me to continue to be your mistress? Carmen is living here and I know you haven't been with John, at least not while we are at home and he's not working."

"I and John aren't together in that regard at this time. He said until you and I talk things over that he's keeping his distance."

"I see, so if I say that our arrangement is over you won't be with him any more?"

Michael shrugs his shoulders, "Right now, it will be whatever he wishes. There is a distance between us now that wasn't ever there before. I know that I'm the one that put it there, but I don't know how to remove it.

"It's not your fault and I don't want you to make a decision based on that.

"I do want to continue with you being my mistress, but only if you are willing to do so. I don't want you to feel obligated or under any pressure. Also, I would like John to okay it once more. I won't step on his toes any more than I already have.

"I like the sound of having family dinners. It's something I've seen on television and even seen some people do. My family was too dysfunctional when my father was alive, and I had no desire to be around him any more than absolutely necessary. So I never thought we'd have one, but if you would like to start having them we can do so. I'll have the kitchen prepare a meal to be ready by seven if that will be alright?" Michael asks Whitney and at her nod he looks over to John who had slipped in earlier.

"Will that be alright with you brother?"

For the first time in over a week, John smiles warmly at his brother, "Sounds good. You might want to let Carmen know."

"I will. Did you hear me about Whitney being my mistress?"

"Yes, it will be up to her whether or not she continues with that role, but the reasons for doing so are still there. If she wishes I have no problem with it." John says looking from Michael to Whitney, "But only if she wishes."

"I understand little brother." Michael says and the tension that had taken root in his shoulders for the last week dissipates.

"Just let me know what you decide, Whitney.

"Also, the prom is this weekend. Are we still doing the double date or are we separating and doing our own thing?"

Whitney shrugs, "I am not in charge of the date. That will be up to you two. John, actually talk to your brother please? I don't like this tension in the house. If you keep it up I'll be moving to my apartment."

John stiffens at her words. Then he lets out a sigh. He doesn't like the tension either. "I will."

"Good, then I'm off to the sitting room to watch some show with Carmen. She has the strangest ideas about television shows." Whitney says then leaves the two brothers to talk.

"It's my fault, John, I know, but I don't know how to make things better between us again."

John sighs and runs his hands through his hair. "No, it's as much my fault as yours. I'm sorry. I was unfairly blaming you for Whitney's pain. There's a great many reasons for what happened and your loss of control was just one small part of the whole.

"I don't like the distance between us any more than you do." John says and looks down defeated. He feels arms come around him and pull him close.

"Then, please, forgive me?" Michael asks holding him tight.

"Only if you forgive me?" John says in return.

"Forgiven, though you didn't have anything to be forgiven." The brothers hug before starting on plans for the prom. They leave the room in a better mood than they've been in for a week. It makes all those that share the house breathe much easier.