Chapter 15

I was looking at the tensed looking Ali while he was driving the car back to our office.
"What are you thinking Ali? It's clearly a trap.We will not agree to his proposal. It's wrong and we both know it. Have some faith. We'll prove Rehman innocent. Moreover no one knows if he's saying the truth. You can't just sign your company your future to anyone. It's your life's achievement" i said in grave tone.
Ali applied the breaks suddenly and that scared me. I never saw him to be a violent person sure he had anger issues as he got angry easily but never voilent atleast not in front of me and right now his anger was scaring me. He looked at me for some time and then replied in sharp tone.
"No one knows if you can save him."
I gasped at his words. I didn't expected that from him. I didn't know that he was this disappointed with me and the case.
"Where's that faith with which you brought the case to me i still remember your words which you said to me on that day that you believe I can save Rehman?" i asked him my voice breaking in middle but i tried to compose myself.
He sighed and ran is hand through his sleek black hair.
"I don't mean that Ayeza.We don't have much time . You can't prove Feroz involvement in murder with these little proofs. You and I both know that.The least you can do is buy time right now but how much?We can't keep doing as we can't get more than a week in next hearing. We couldn't do a thing in four months what will we do in only a week. And that's also a possibility maybe we don't even get a week. This has to end"
"On cost of what? Your lifetime struggle." I shouted at him
"My company don't matter Rehman does." he replied in grave tone.
"Are you really saying that Ali. I can't believe you right now. How can you trust that man?" I replied in same tone.
"I don't trust that bastard but i have to do something Ayeza. I can't stay silent. I trusted you and i still do. But it's been four months Rehman is in prison and you haven't gotten him out. You need time and we don't have that please you need to understand that." Ali said in pleading tone.
"Alright do whatever you please but do remember that you have lost a good friend." I said and left the car banging the door loudly. My heart was sinking at the thoughts of him doing what i was dreading from the start. I know i didn't have any proof to Rehman innocent right now. But i was trying and i knew that i could do it.I took a taxi and went home. I didn't have any strength left to go to the office.
I requested Amma bi to make a coffee for me and lied down on the bed. Ali was constantly calling me but i turned off my phone. I didn't wanted to talk to him or anyone. Never in my life did i felt that disappointed.
At night Harim called me. He asked me why i was feeling so off but i dismissed the topic. We've gotten closer. Atleast that was what i used to believe.
After talking to him,I again recieved the call from Ali but i cut it again. I wasn't going to talk to him anytime soon. I took all the documents from the case and started studying them closely not leaving any details. Don't know why but i believed that we must have left something out. I was going through all the files when i drifted off to sleep on my chair.
I woke up due to the ringtone of my alarm. After doing my morning routine i sat down on the chair and started doing my work. I had decided not to leave the case as it wasn't something i do. I never left any case in middle. So, i decided whether Ali want me or not I'm not going to leave it. I'll prove Rehman innocent even if it's the last thing i do.
Whole day passed in the blur. I was so engrossed in the work that i didn't even had my lunch. It was night and i was so hungry so I decided to do all the work later and had dinner. I haven't even reached the kitchen when the doorbell rang. I went to open the door. I opened the door and to say that i was shocked would be an understatement Hina,Amin,Kashaf and Ali were present at the door with the gifts and cake in their hand.
"Happy birthday Ayeza" they shouted when I opened the door.
It was my twenty sixt birthday and i haven't even remember it. I haven't even checked my phone because i have turned it off as i didn't wanted to talk to Ali.
I invited everyone inside. Ali looked at ne with his deep blue eyes and i looked away. I didn't wanted to talk about the case right now. So i just ignored his stare. I made them sit on the sofa and ran inside my room when i realized what i was wearing and how i was looking. I was wearing my pink night pajamas and plain white shirt with a pink hijab which i hurriedly put on when i heard the bell as I don't wear hijab in home. My hair were a mess and face was deprived of any makeup. All in all i looked like a psychiatric ward escapee. I facepalm myself and hurriedly changed my clothes and did a small makeup.
"Someone's looking beautiful" Hina gushed when i entered the room.
"Thanks. Actually i was so engrossed in my work that i forgot my own birthday." I said embarrassed.
My friends laughed at me and Amin replied "we know that and that's why we came to wish you. By the way why's your phone off. I tried to call you many times"
I looked at Ali who was already looking at me and replied " I was busy doing my work so i turned it off so no one bothers me. Sorry i didn't know you'll be calling me"
"It's alright. Let's cut the cake" Hina said in excited tone.
I cut the cake and everyone wished me. Then i opened everyone's gift except Ali's as he told me to open it later. Then we had dinner. Hina and Amin left early as they had to go to university in morning. Now it was only me, Ali and kashaf. I made coffee for us and we sat down on the sofa sipping our coffee. All the while me and Kashaf has a slight conversation while Ali was silent. I haven't spoken to him yet.
They were about to leave when it started raining. Weather was very bad so I offered them to stay at my house for the night. Ali and kashaf both were hesitating but i made them stay. I set two guest rooms for both of them and went to my room to sleep but Sleep was nowhere near me. I decided to open the gift which Ali gave me. It was beautifully wrapped i a blue paper. I opened it and there was a blue velvet box inside. I opened the box only to reveal a beautiful silver bracelet with blue stones on it. It was indeed beautiful. I put it on and went to change. I lied down to sleep on my bed but still I wasn't feeling sleepy. I remembered my phone was turned off so I turned it on. I had almost recieved hundred above messages from many friends and family too wishing me happy birthday. I replied to all of them and talked with my sister and mother for some time. Harim had also messaged me saying happy birthday but he didn't call. Two hours had passed but i still was unable to sleep when i suddenly felt thirsty. I sat up to drink water but the jug was empty. I stepped out of my room and went to the kitchen. After drinking water i was about to return to my room when i saw that the door to the lawn was slightly opened. I thought it must be due to air. I was about to close it when the sight in front of me made me frozen to my feet.
.....................................