Chapter 4

A month had passed to my marriage, in the whole month Harim only called me once when he told me he isn't coming back any time soon.My parents do call me once a week or so but no one ever asked me about him true to his words same goes to  this mother. This somehow  made me uncomfortable that everyone know something that I don't. Whenever i want to talk to my mother about it she dismiss the topic or say that everything will be alright. I have finally given up on talking to them about it and just left it all to Allah's will.
I was sitting in my office going through some files when a knock on the door interrupted my chain of thoughts. I was thinking that it must be my coffee which i ordered ten minutes ago.When it was knocked twice i gave permission to enter but didn't look up as i was going through some files.
The intruder coughed to get my attention. I finally looked up he was a man of late 20's. He has a rough look about him. His hair were disheveled. His eyes had bags around them which indicated that he didn't get much sleep these days. Altough he looked tired but he was very handsome. His black pants and shirt was looking so good on him. Indeed, he was a beautiful young man.
He coughed again to get my attention. I blushed finally realising that i was staring at him for five minutes. He smiled and i smiled back awkwardly.
"So i guess you are Ms.Ayeza?" He said in his rough voice.
I cleared my throat and replied back, "yes that's me. How can i help you mister...."
"Ali" he completed my sentence.
"I'm here because i want you to take the case of my best friend Rehman. I talk to you about it on phone. Did you forget?"
I remembered his phone call. He indeed called me two days ago and wanted me to take his friend's case.
"No, I remember your call. You may sit down."
He sat down on the chair and gave me his file. I took the file and read it thoroughly as i have guessed the case was pretty bad it was first degree murder case. A 20 year old girl aina was found dead in the apartment. She was stabbed twice in her heart. Rehman was found unconscious in her apartment with blood on his clothes and murder weapon in his hand. Two witnesses found him with the dead body of the girl. According to Rehman, he didn't have any memory of what happened to him. He said in his statement that he didn't remember anything and he didn't kill the girl.All evidence was against him.
"Will you take this case?" Ali asked me after some minutes.
I looked at him the case was pretty complex all evidence was against him. Surely a fool lawyer would take a case like that where it was obvious that he isn't going to win the case.
"I can't take the case." I denied. I had some rules about my work and the first one and the most important of them was that I don't defend criminals.
"I don't defend criminals." I told him straightforwardly. I don't like to beat around the bush so i came to the point.
"He didn't murdered anyone. He's innocent" he replied with a hard face.
"Where is his family then? And why are you defending him" i asked getting confused because if he really didn't murder anyone then why isn't his family supporting him?
"He don't have anyone besides me he's an orphan. I'm his one and only family. He's like a brother to me. We're friends since we were little and he didn't kill anyone. He can't even kill an animal how could he kill someone? And the girl she was his class fellow. Though they were competitors in studies but why would he kill her?" he said in the grave voice.
"Look Mr.Ali I understand youtr emotions but law don't work like that you need to have proofs to prove someone guilty or innocent. In this case,all proofs are against him so I don't think so any lawyer would take such a case. Did you take advise from any senior lawyer before?" I asked him getting through Rehman's file.
"Only one or two but i want you to take the case" he replied curtly.
"Why do you want me to take the case? What's so special about me?" I asked him somewhat baffled.
"I know you can prove him innocent" he replied seriously.
I sucked in deep breaths and thought for a while the case was very complex and there was a very low chance that i could win it but it don't matter if he really thinks that his friend is not guilty so i can try to help because I can't let anyone innocent get punished if there was a slight chance that i could save him.
"Ok I'll think about it but i need to talk to your friend first. If i felt that he isn't guilty then I'll take the case." I replied after thinking for a while.
"That's ok with me.  I can pay you whatever amount you want but please save him he's very important to me. I'll be forever thankful to you if you save my brother.Thanks a lot for your time" saying that he got up and left the room.
I sighed thinking that it's not gonna be easy for me. But something in me said to trust Ali's words i don't know why but he seemed sincere and honest. I hope all would be good in future and i didn't made the wrong decision.
........................