Chapter 12

"Something very shocking....." Ali told me.
"What is it?" I asked him hurriedly
"Ayeza the USB Mir gave us. Its empty"
Ali said looking at me.
"So what? We already know it" i asked getting confused.
"Ayeza it is empty as in there was never any data stored in it. Meaning nothing was deleted from it since data wasn't stored in it in the first place" Ali said explaining to me.
"What?" Now this was my time to get shocked. Like i suspected something was definitely wrong. It meant only one thing.
"The USB was exchanged" I and Ali said at the same time.
"Yes exactly" Ali said running a hand through his hair. "We're again at a dead end" Ali continued gravely
"I don't understand this. It mean only two things which are either it was exchanged either before Aina handed it to Mir or after she gave it to Mir.If we suppose Mir is telling the truth then it means it was exchanged before she handed it to Mir. So she had no idea about it and she thought she was handing over it to Mir to remain in safe hands" i replied thinking deeply
"Yeah. Or in other case Mir ditched us which is also possible" Ali replied frowning
"I don't think so he stole the real USB or he hadn't told us about it. I don't think he's the one responsible for it. I think it was exchanged before. Maybe somehow Feroz got to know about the USB. He took it and got to know that Aina was gathering evidence against him. So he killed Aina and put the blame on Rehman for her death. In this way he killed two birds with one stone" I replied looking at Ali
"Yes. That's a greater possibility" Ali said after contemplating my words
"But what I don't get is why he waited for a week. I mean he took the USB before Aina gave it to Mir. Mir said it was a week before her murder. So why he waited for a week to murder her. He could've murdered her when he got to know about it a week ago"
I said thinking
"Yeah but maybe he was waiting for the right opportunity to put the blame on Rehman" Ali said after a while.
"Hmm maybe. We'll talk about it in morning. It's getting dark i should go" i said to Ali
"Ok I'll drop you at your house. It's not safe to go alone at this time. You don't even have your car" Ali replied looking at me in the eyes.
I wanted to reject the idea but then he was right it really wasn't safe for me "Ok sure" i said smiling slightly
"Let's go" Ali said and moved out.
We reached my house. I thanked Ali and asked him for a cup of tea. But he rejected my offer politely. I got fresh and had my dinner. I was about to sleep when my phone rang. I attended the call. It was my mother and sister. We chatted for a while. Then i went to sleep.
It was morning. After having my breakfast i was working on Rehman's case when i got a call from my husband. He used to call me every sunday and it was sunday. We chatted. I had a good laugh on his lame jokes. In a short time, we had become good friends. We talk freely with each other. He often told me about his weekend and i told him about how i am doing and how i spend my day. Whenever i asked him when is he coming back. He replied with a 'soon'. So I didn't asked him that either. Initially I used to think that maybe he's cheating on me or maybe he had an affair or he don't want me but eventually i got so busy with the case that these thoughts won't cross my mind now since I don't had time.
It was monday morning. I was sitting in my office working on some files when a knock on the door interrupted me. I gave permission to enter
A man in his late twenties entered my office. He was good looking but something about him was making me uncomfortable. I didn't had any appointment with anyone. So i got confused. He sat down on the chair opposite to me.
"Hello Ms. Ayeza" he said smirking slightly.
"I was very uncomfortable and his smirk was giving me chills. But i composed myself and replied confidentialy
"Hello. I don't think i have any appointment with you Sir. Maybe you're in the wrong office" I replied looking at him
"Feroz khan........ My name is Feroz khan. You must've heard of me. I'm quite famous here" the guy said looking at me creepily.
I was shocked to core. Feroz khan was in my office. I didn't knew how to deal with this situation. I drank some water and decided to deal with it tactically
"Yes I've heard of you a little. Nice to meet you. What can I do for you?" I asked him calculativly looking at him.
He looked at me with a smirk on his face and replied back
"I'm quite impressed. My old pal really has found a good lawyer for his sad excuse of a brother." Feroz said with the venom in his words.
"What do you want from me Mr.Feroz?" I asked him straightforwardly because i knew that he didn't come here for just to talk.
"I see. Straight on point. Alright i want you to leave Rehman's case" Feroz said looking at me.
"And why do you think i would do that?" I asked him suspiciously. His calm tone was giving me chills.
"You see in this world every one want money. You have money you can do everything. And i have plenty of it. I don't mind sharing some with you. You know what i mean" Feroz said twirling the paper weight with his fingers.
"Mr.Feroz I'm a lawyer. I don't leave cases in middle .So you tell me if you want me to fight a case for you or anything  else i can do for you because i won't be leaving this case." i said acting to be dumb.
"You and I both know what i want you to do for me." He said looking at me sharply.
"Oh well. What if i don't want to do that?" I asked him straightforwardly.
"Hmm. In that case we might have some problems" he replied curtly.
"Mr. Feroz are you trying to threaten me in my office. You do know we have cameras in here." I spat at him
"No my dear I'm not threating you. You see everyone has different perspectives. You may think of it as threat but but i call it is a precaution. You should be careful as accidents do happen." He said sharply
"So what do you want me to do?" I asked him
He chuckled "Haven't i made myself clear?Be on my side leave the case or I know how to convince someone. Though i don't think it'll be safe for a pretty lady like you.Think before you reject my offer because not every day i propose offers like these. I know you're talented and hard working but you can't win against me even if you try your best. I'm doing you a favour. Here is my card if you change your mind" saying this he got up from his seat and left the office. I exhaled deeply after he was gone.
So that's how it was going. The devil himself appeared in my office and offered me money for leaving the case. I huffed and called Ali. He picked up at first ring
"Hello Ayeza. What happened? Everything alright?" Said his voice.
I relaxed a bit hearing his voice.
"Feroz khan visited me" i blurted out
"What? Why?" He asked shocked
"Apparently, he know I'm working on Rehman's case. And he want me to leave the case. He proposed he'll make me rich if i do so?" I told him everything
Ali exhaled and asked "So what are you going to do now?"
"Only one thing i can do......... Ignore him and focus on case" i told him seriously.
"Hmm. Ok I'm coming at your office. We'll discuss it from there" saying that he cut the call.
................................