33. Futile Apologies

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE;

FUTULE APOLOGIES

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

For once, Cassie got to eat lunch with Harry and Hermione. Not for long, as Harry's task was about to start, but it was the thought that counted.

"Potter," called Mcgonagall as she hurried over to their seats, "the champions have to come down onto the grounds now; you have to get ready for your first task."

"Okay," said Harry quickly, standing so suddenly that his fork collapsed onto his plate with a clatter.

"Good luck, Harry," Cassie whispered, Hermione nodding in agreement. "You'll do great!"

Once he was gone, Hermione leaned in.

"He will do great, won't he?" she whispered worriedly. Cassie nodded her head.

"He'll be fine."

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

It was true – he skimmed past the Hungarian Horntail with his Firebolt and led it out of the stadium, then swooped back in to grab the now unprotected egg.

   He hoisted the golden egg into the air, panting and grinning at the sound of the crowd's applause. Cassie and Hermione cheered loudest of all, throwing their hands into the air and jumping up and down.

"Reckon we should go congratulate him," said a voice from behind them. Both girls whipped around to see Ron, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly.

"You think?" Cassie narrowed her eyes at him. He smiled bleakly and shrugged. Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Oh, come on then," said Hermione exasperatedly, pulling them both by the arms to the champions' tent.

"Harry, you were brilliant!" she said once they arrived and found Harry. "You were amazing! You really were!"

Harry didn't pay attention to Hermione nor Cassie; he had his eyes glued to Ron, who was suddenly very pale.

"Harry," said Ron, very seriously, "whoever put your name in that goblet... I– I reckon they're trying to do you in!"

"Caught on, have you?" said Harry coldly. "Took you long enough."

Ron opened his mouth, probably to apologize, but Harry's cold expression melted away and he shook his head.

"It's okay," said Harry. "Forget it."

"No," said Ron. "I shouldn't've–"

"Forget it," said Harry.

Ron and Harry smiled at each other. Hermione burst into tears.

"There's nothing to cry about!" said Harry, bewildered.

"You two are just so stupid!" she shouted, tears splashing down her front. Then, before anyone could stop her, she had hugged Harry and dashed away.

"Mental," muttered Cassie, watching Hermione's retreating figure and shaking her head.

"C'mon, they'll be putting up Harry's scores soon," said Ron, who seemed unable to stop smiling now. Cass shook her head.

"I've got to do something first," she said, before congratulating Harry with a hug (she could've sworn she saw his cheeks glow red before she turned around – though that could've been due to the weather..) and she walked off to where Madam Pomfrey was still tending to the other champions.