60. Signs of Affection

CHAPTER SIXTY;

SIGNS OF AFFECTION

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

The thought of planning her life beyond the next year frightened Cassie beyond measure. With the war advancing – and everyone knew there was a war, by now – and Voldemort growing in strength.. how was Cassie to know she'd even survive long enough to make it past seventh year?

Nevertheless, she pondered on potential Wizarding jobs to pursue. Immediately into her research, she knew she did not want to be anything in the Muggle world; it required too high of expectations in Muggle Studies for her liking. Becoming a Professor would've been cool, if it did not require her to return to Hogwarts after having just made it out..

Eventually, she settled for asking Professor Mcgonagall about looking into Magical Law Enforcement.

Cassie entered her Head of House's classroom at precisely 5:00 on the dot and sat in the chair across from Mcgonagall's desk. Pamphlets adorned the wooden surface in an organized chaos. Only the top of Mcgonagall's head was visible to Cassie as the Professor straightened a few pamphlets and brochures. Cassie, stupidly thinking Mcgonagall had not noticed her entry, cleared her throat.

   "Yes, I know you're here, Black," Mcgonagall said sharply, lifting her head and straightening her glasses. She cleared her throat and picked up the pamphlet sitting in the dead center of her desk. "Anyway. As I'm sure you know, this meeting is to talk over any career ideas you might have, and to help you decide which subjects you should continue into sixth and seventh years–"

   There was a high-pitched throat cleared from behind Cassie; the teenager started and turned over her shoulder to face Umbridge. The Headmistress held her clipboard in one hand and a positively pink quill in the other. She smiled upon noticing Cassie's eyes on her and said, "Oh, don't mind me. I'm only here in case this session goes... problematic."

   "Miss Black," said Mcgonagall bitterly, though not in a way that suggested she were upset with Cassie – more sour because Umbridge was in the room. "As I was saying, you seem to have a knack for.. ah," she referred to another slip of parchment, though her brow creased in the slightest as she said, "Divination. Figures. There are plenty of job options for those gifted with the ability of Sight, and–"

"I want to work in Magical Law Enforcement," Cassie interjected forcefully. Mcgonagall peered up at her from behind the rims of her glasses, a guarded expression on her face. There was a soft sputter of indignation from behind. And though she did not turn around, Cassie took immense pleasure in the dumbfounded reaction she only knew Umbridge had given.

"Well, that certainly is an option," Mcgonagall began, shuffling a few more papers around on her desk in search of a certain one. When she found it, she picked it up, frowned thoughtfully at it, and then turned it toward Cassie, who took hold and gazed down upon it.

   "No, Professor," she said, shaking her head and sliding the parchment back toward Mcgonagall, "I don't want to just be an Auror – I want to be Head of Law Enforcement."

   Professor Mcgonagall's brow raised slightly, though out of surprise or out of impressiveness, Cassie did not know. The classroom fell silent beyond the sound of Umbridge's quill scribbling furiously across her clipboard from behind Cassie. Finally, after what felt like an hour, Mcgonagall said, "I suppose this has to do with your father."

   "Right you are, Professor," Cassie said, flashing the witch a bright grin. Mcgonagall did not seem amused, so Cassie dropped the smile and replaced it with a serious expression, before going on. "He was sent to Azkaban without a trial. Surely he isn't the first to be treated so unfairly, and I intend to make a difference in innocent people's lives. But.. I can only do that if I work hard enough to pursue this career."