58. More Regretful Ministry Involvement

CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT;

MORE REGRETFUL MINISTRY INVOLVEMENT

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"I can't do it," Cassie grumbled, crossing her arms and watching with contempt as Hermione's otter danced through her legs. She kicked at the mist and it dissolved.

   "You'll get it," said Hermione encouragingly, smiling. "Just think of a happy memory, cast the spell, and you can get it."

   Cassie glowered at Hermione for a moment, then squeezed her eyes shut and tried to think of her happiest memory. Most of them were things to do with Cedric and Atticus; a few of Harry, Hermione, and Ron; many with Remus. She settled on the memory of when she found out her mum was alive and said, "Expecto Patronum!"

   Nothing happened. Not even a wisp of silvery magic burst from the tip of her wand; even Neville had managed wisps.

   "I give up," said Cassie, dropping onto the nearest cushion and draping her arm over her face. "I will never be able to do a corporeal Patronus ever. This is the extent of my magical abilities."

   "So bloody dramatic," Ron said disdainfully, pointing his wand to Cassie. His Patronus – a Jack Russell Terrier – ran her over. It felt like whimsical feathers being trailed over her torso, and only made her all the more upset that she couldn't form her Patronus yet.

Harry wandered over looking happier than Cassie had seen him to be in a while; his stag trailed behind him, before moving over to Cassie and nudging her head with its snout. She groaned and sat up.

"All of you suck," she told her friends matter-of-factly. "Even Atticus has got his."

It was true. His Patronus chased him around the room until Atticus lost his footing and fell, and the badger jumped onto his chest. He was laughing with Luna about it as Cassie looked away scornfully.

"Ah, you'll get it eventually," said Fred, walking over to stand next to his younger brother. George followed, two magpie Patronuses at their feet. Cassie stood and decided to give it one last try.

   "Hey, Cass," Harry began, leaning in and lowering his voice. "It doesn't have to be a happy memory, just powerful. I think of my parents. Maybe.. maybe try some of your memories with Cedric?"

   Cassie smiled softly and nodded, before raising her wand. She racked her brain for a memory – any memory with Cedric. After landing on the time Cedric punched Malfoy in the nose for her, she bit back a grin and raised her wand again. "Expecto Patronum!"

   A kaleidoscope of silvery butterflies burst from the tip of her wand and flittered around the Room of Requirements. Many people lost concentration on their own Patronuses and watched in awe as the swarm weaved in and out of people's fingers. Cassie's hand fluttered to the butterfly necklace she had received from Harry for Christmas the year prior and she smiled.

   "Dobby?" Harry asked incredulously; Cassie's concentration broke and the butterflies dissolved into the air. Dobby the house-elf teetered on both of his feet as he stared at Harry with wide eyes. "Dobby, what's wrong?"

   "Dobby was told not to tell Harry Potter, but Dobby must! Dobby must!" The house-elf began hitting himself upside the head and muttering nonsense. Cassie knelt and took hold of his hands, and he turned his glossy eyes to her. Despite never having met the elf before, he reminded her of Wipsy, and she spoke in a quiet voice.

   "Dobby, what's the matter?" she asked, risking a glance to Harry.

   "She–is–coming," Dobby stammered, as though an invisible force were holding back his words. Cassie's jaw dropped and she turned to Harry, who had a matching look of fear on his own face. There was only one 'she' who could invoke such emotion in Dobby.