22. The Little Things Matter

chapter twenty two / the little things matter

Dinner with seven children and three guests was something Cassie was not used to at the Lupin household. The meal was held in the garden, as Mrs. Weasley muttered something about not having room in the kitchen for so many people, but it wasn't a problem with any of them. Crookshanks had scared away most of the gnomes, so it was an unusually peaceful dinner.

Mrs. Weasley occasionally crooned something to Bill about his long hair and fang earring, to which the eldest Weasley child replied patiently every time. He had nice manners, Cassie noticed – unlike Ron, who was continually talking animatedly about the Cup with his mouth full, earning himself a scolding from Hermione.

"It's got to be Ireland," said Charlie, also with a mouthful of potatoes. Hermione sputtered out something about 'these bloody boys', but stayed quiet when it came to the older Weasley. "They flattened Peru in the semifinals."

"Bulgaria's got Viktor Krum," Fred pointed out.

"Krum's one decent player, Ireland's got seven," said Charlie shortly. "I wish Englad had got through. That was embarrassing."

"What happened?" asked Harry eagerly.

"They lost to Transylvania, three hundred and ninety to ten. It was quite embarrassing to watch, honestly.." Cassie answered promptly. She'd spent some time over the summer catching up on the Quidditch semifinals, deciding she should at least pitch something in when the conversations inevitably turned to Quidditch teams.

"Wales lost to Uganda, and Scotland was slaughtered by Luxembourg," Charlie added, nodding at Cassie's statement. "It's gonna be Ireland, I'll bet you that."

"I say it's going to be Bulgaria," Cassie hmphed, and Charlie raised an eyebrow.

"You willing to bet on that, Cassie?" he asked daringly, and Cassie narrowed her eyes at him. "Five Galleons that Ireland wins. If they lose, you get the money. If they win..."

Cassie stared at Charlie curiously for a moment, before nodding. She shook his outstretched hand. "Glad to know I'll be five Galleons richer by tomorrow night."

When the sun began to set, Mr. Weasley conjured candles to light up the darkening garden before they had homemade strawberry ice cream. The rest of the Weasleys were well into a conversation when Ron leaned in with his three friends at the opposite end of the table.

"So – have you heard from Sirius lately?" he asked Harry quietly. Cassie kept her gaze on the scoop of pink ice cream on her spoon.