7. Family Portraits

chapter seven / family portraits

                              "CASSIE," SAID HARRY TENTATIVELY, "it's alright; you just... just get behind me."

     She took slow steps backwards until Harry could move around her, still extending his wand, holding it at the ready in case the Grim attacked. Cassie peered over his shoulder, her own wand jabbing her particularly hard in the side, begging her to unsheathe it and fight.

     Who was she to fight? Remus had barely taught her Lumos, much less a spell that could hold off a murderous dog. She'd have to leave it up to Harry.

      "Harry, how do you deal with a Grim?" she whispered in his ear, fear causing her voice to rise a few octaves. "Do you fight it?"

     "I—I don't know—" Harry stuttered over his shoulder, his eyes never leaving the black dog. "It—it never sticks around this long, honestly..."

     "Well, then.. how do you deal with an angry dog?" Cassie asked, a whimper of fear escaping her lips, stumbling back slightly as the dog began stalking towards them.

     Harry swallowed. "Um.. you.. erm..."

     Clearly uncertain, the two continued taking slow, cautious steps backwards until Cassie tripped over the bottom step leading up to the statue. She glanced back, but immediately regretted it, as the dog lunged towards them.

     "Harry!" she shrieked, as the dog bolted forward, locking its jaw around the bottom half of leg.

     Harry kicked the dog off after a moment of thrashing around, and the two teenagers stumbled up the steps, shoving the statue of the one-eyed witch closed behind them.

     Cassie leaned her back against the wall, breathlessly sliding down to a seat. Harry sat next to her, also panting for breath, wincing as he clutched his leg.

     "Merlin," Cassie huffed out, a hand clutching her heart. "Oh, Godric—Harry, are you hurt?" She moved herself to a kneeling position next to him and began examining the side of his leg that the dog had attacked.

     "No, I don't think so," he answered nobly, but he groaned loudly of pain when she her fingers traced over his left calf. She pursed her lips together.

     "Can you walk?" she asked, rolling back to sit on her heels.

     Harry slowly attempted to rise to a stand but inhaled sharply, shaking his head and leaning back against the wall.

     "Here, try to.. you can put your weight on me," Cassie suggested, standing up and wrapping his arm around her shoulders. He leaned into her. "Is that better?"

"Much," Harry exhaled, as they began their vigilant trek to the hospital wing. "What are we going to tell Pomfrey? She's bound to ask questions."

     "Um.. the truth?" Cassie raised her eyebrows, but Harry shook his head decisively. Cassie rolled her eyes. "C'mon, it couldn't be that bad."