11. Rolling with the Punches

chapter eleven / rolling with the punches

DECEMBER SEEPED INTO JANUARY, January into February, and February into March; Harry, Hermione, and Ron still paying no attention to Cassie. Malfoy, however, was utterly thrilled to hear that the golden quartet wasn't on speaking terms, and took it to himself to taunt Cassie relentlessly whenever the chance arose. Still, nobody knew she was Black's daughter, of course, but the whole school thinking she was working with him to murder Harry wasn't much better.

   Ravenclaw and Gryffindor were soon about to face off in arguably the most intense match of the year; if Gryffindor won, they would still have a chance for the Cup. The turnout for the match was insanely high — enough so that two more stands had to be conjured to fit everyone comfortably.

   Cassie had been forced to go, after Luna and Neville had worked together to lift her spirits. She'd drawn close to the two, which was... unexpected. Luna was a year younger (and quite strange, to be honest), and Neville was.. well, Neville. But the three had become tight-knit, both Luna and Neville believing Cassie right off the bat when she'd told them she wasn't working with Sirius.

   On the day of the match, Cassie and Luna sat in the Ravenclaw common room. Atticus had his legs draped over Cassie as they laid at opposite ends of the couch, her occasionally pushing his feet off of her chest with a disgusted facial expression.

   "Are you not nervous?" she asked him, quirking an eyebrow.

He dog-eared the book he'd been reading and sat up slightly. Cassie did the same, and Luna looked up from her issue of The Quibbler.

   "Not one bit," he replied spiritedly, grinning his charming grin at her. "I'm the best Seeker there is."

   "How humble of you, Atticus." Cassie rolled her eyes, and he kicked her shoulder. "Ow!"

   "I am humble!" he protested with another kick. She returned it by sitting up and shoving his chest, and he pushed her back. Within a moment, the two were wrestling on the couch, Luna watching with a dazed smile on her lips.

   Roger Davies, whom Cassie only recognized as he was the captain of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team, quickly stumbled over. "Oi! Stop banging up my Seeker!" he shouted, but quickly skidded to a stop as he realized who she was. He backed away slowly, before rushing back out of the room, a stricken look on his face.

   Cassie's shoulders drooped in on herself.

    "Hey, s'alright," Atticus said, immediately noticing her change in mood. He stopped kicking her and sat up, nodding his head at Luna and signaling for her to join. The blonde sat on the other side of Cassie, staring wistfully at the pair.

   "I should be used to it by now, right?" Cassie faked a laugh, shrugging her shoulders. "It's alright — I don't wanna drag the mood down. You've got a match to get ready for, and Luna has some convincing to do if she actually thinks I'll be going."