56. Saint Mungo's

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX;

SAINT MUNGO'S

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"How is he?" were the first words to leave Cassie's mouth when she arrived at Grimmauld Place an entire week later. She threw down her trunk with a loud THUNK the moment she had stepped foot inside the doorway and, ignoring the screams and wails of Walpurga Black, stormed into the house to search for Mr. Weasley.

The past week had been hell on earth for both her and Hermione – despite Remus's promise, they did not receive any updates on Mr. Weasley's wellbeing. They had been, in Muggle terms, a 'bundle of nerves'.

"Cassie, dear," said Mrs. Weasley kindly, her eyes crinkled at the corners and arms outstretched into a welcoming hug. Cassie graciously accepted herself into the woman's clutches, though the worry lines did not cease from her forehead until Mrs. Weasley pulled away and said, "Arthur is going to be alright, the Healers say he should make a full recovery by just after Christmas. Oh, Hermione..!" And she bustled off to greet the second girl just as warmly.

Cassie exhaled a deep sigh of relief and slumped onto the stairs, leaning her back against the step behind her and rubbing her forehead tiredly. Both she and Hermione had not managed much sleep the night before – too much nerves and whatnot – and she felt as though she could have easily dozed off on the stairs if it had not been for Ron and Ginny clomping down from above her.

"You're here!" the latter called, barely giving Cassie time to stand before Ginny threw her arms around her in a hug. "Oh, I told them the minute we knew he was alright that we should've told you, but someone," – she sent a very pointed look to her mother's back – "thought it was news to be told in person."

"I'm glad he's alright," said Cassie honestly, smiling to Ginny before moving behind her and standing on her toes to envelop Ron in a hug. "I can't do this for much longer, Ron, you're getting too tall–"

   "Oi, I can't help it!" Ron protested, though his ears were pink at the tips when Cassie pulled away. She broke into a grin and shook her head. Ron suddenly lowered his voice, leaning in so Cassie and Hermione could hear as he said, "He's holed up in his room. Won't talk to anyone. Wait until you hear what Moody and Tonks said at St. Mungo's..."

   Cassie shared a slightly wide-eyed look with Hermione, both girls thinking the same thing – "This can't be good". Hermione nodded and turned back to face Ron.

   "I'll let you lot deal with him," said Cassie, avoiding making direct eye contact with Ron nor with Ginny as she squeezed past them to enter the kitchen. Thankfully, it was empty, and she could make herself a mug of cocoa in peace – though her quietude of solace soon evaporated as someone entered behind her.

   "No hello for us? What are we – chopped toadstool?"

   Cassie turned over her shoulder to see her parents in the doorway. For a fleeting second, her veins filled with lead as she remembered how her father had forgotten to send her a present on her birthday because Harry had taken over his full attention. In that moment, she wanted nothing more than to shout at him.

But Cassie only smiled.

"Hi, Mum. Hi, Dad," she said brightly, moving around the counter as they extended their arms for a hug. She allowed them to wrap themselves around her, though had to admit that she did not hug back as enthusiastically. In fact, Cassie eyed her father through her lashes as he rested his chin on her shoulder.