53. Educational Decree #24

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE;

EDUCATIONAL DECREE #24

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"By order of the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, all student organizations, societies, teams, groups, and clubs are henceforth disbanded. Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor. No student organization, society, team, group, or club may exist without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor. Any student found to have formed, or belong to, an organization, society, team, group, or club that has not been approved by the High Inquisitor will be expelled."

The speaker from which the bells rang repeated this decree four times over the period of the next day – once, while Cassie was at breakfast; then again, when she was on her way to Charms; another time, when she was nearly asleep in the library; and it had just been announced for the fourth time whilst she sat in the common room.

Harry and Ron entered through the portrait hole, whispering very urgently to each other. Ron caught sight of Cassie on the couch and nodded toward her; immediately, the two of them approached her and pulled her off to the corner. She followed, glancing over her shoulder in confusion.

"Erm.. yes?" She raised an eyebrow curiously.

"D'you have any idea who might've blabbed to Umbridge about... you know," Ron whispered, his eyes darting around to see if there were any eavesdroppers.

"No clue," said Cassie honestly. A realization hit, and her mouth popped open in silent shock. "Atticus."

Harry and Ron looked to her as though she were crazy. "What?" Harry asked, his brow furrowed.

"It had to have been," she said darkly, clenching her jaw. "He's all buddy-buddy with Umbridge..."

"It wasn't Atticus," said Ron, still looking at the girl as though she had sprouted wings from her back. "We can trust him–"

"It was him, I know it," she said indignantly, glancing between the two boys. "You should ask him about it. If he starts avoiding looking you in the eyes, it's definitely him."

   "It's not Atticus," said Hermione from behind Cassie, startling her. "Nobody snitched. Umbridge found out for herself."

   "You're so naïve," said Ron, shaking his head in disbelief. "You think just because you're honorable and trustworthy–"

   "No, they can't have done it because I put a jinx on the piece of parchment we all signed," said Hermione grimly. "Believe me, if anyone's run off and told Umbridge, we'll know exactly who they are and they will really regret it."

   "What'll happen to them?" Ron and Cassie asked in sync – Ron seemed to be more eager to find out; Cassie, skeptical.

   "Well, put it this way," said Hermione, "it'll make Eloise Midgen's acne look like a couple of cute freckles. Come on, let's get to dinner and see what the others think."

   It was immediately apparent upon entering the Great Hall that Umbridge's announcement had put everyone on edge; there was a peculiar intensity about the chatter and an extra measure of movement   as people scattered up and down their tables. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Cassie had barely taken their seats when Neville, Dean, Fred, George, and Ginny descended upon them.

   "Did you hear?"

   "Reckon she knows?"

   "What are we going to do?"