41. The Third Task - Part I

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE;

THE THIRD TASK, part one

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"No, you've got it wrong, Harry, look–" Cassie broke off and exemplified the wrist movement, slowly so he could see every aspect. "Not.. whatever you've been doing."

   "This is pointless," Harry groaned, dropping his wand onto the desk, his head following with a thud. "I'm never going to be able to do the Stunning Spell."

   "Cheer up, Harry," said Cassie with a soft smile, rubbing his back soothingly. "We've got loads more time to prepare, and even Moody's on your side, mate–!"

   "What's the point of the Stunning Spell?" Harry queried suddenly, picking his head up.

   "Um.. to stun people, maybe?"

   "No, I mean–" he groaned again. "I mean, why should I learn it? I haven't even got half a chance against Krum, Fleur, and Diggory. I might as well drop out now."

   Cassie frowned. It was especially out of character of Harry to be so negative, so doubting of his own abilities. She watched him for a moment.

"Stun me," she instructed, standing from the desk and moving across the empty classroom. "C'mon, Harry, Stun me." She began tossing harmless jinxes and hexes his way, a few striking him across the cheek, over the shoulder, on the leg.

"I'm not going to Stun you," he said irritably, barely sparing her a glance as she rushed about the classroom, "so you can stop embarrassing yourself."

"You think I'm embarrassing myself? No, no, Harry, you've got it twisted," said Cassie, smiling. She cast a small slicing hex that cut him straight across his cheekbone – barely a bead of blood dripped down his face. Cassie watched as he screwed up his face, still shooting hexes at him. She grazed his chin with another cut. "Seems to be the other way round, mate."

He stood suddenly and hit her with a very strong "Stupefy!" that sent her falling backwards and into the precautionary cushions that had been set earlier, unconscious. In an instant, his face dropped and he rushed to her side to perform the Enervate charm.

She awoke with a cough, the air being forced from her lungs. "Merlin, Harry," she choked, "I'd no idea I make you that angry."

"You sliced my face!" he retorted, grabbing her by her outstretched hand to pull her to a seated position. She laughed.

"I had to make you feel threatened," she reasoned with a smile, though her face fell as she scanned his slight injuries. "D'you mind if I...? I know some– er, a few basic healing spells, but if you want to go see Madam Pomfrey–"

"No, I'd rather not," he said quickly. Both teenagers were blissfully unaware of the lack of distance between them, and Cassie leaned in, her wand raised to the cuts adorning his cheek. She cleared her throat.

"Episkey," Cassie whispered, her brow knitted together in focus as she trailed the tip of her wand over the cuts, a small string of white light exuding from the maple end. Harry's green eyes were glued to her as she worked. Their eyes caught, and her breath hitched for a moment. Well.. what did she have to lose?

    "Harry.." she began, very slowly.

    "Cassie..?"

Now or never, she thought.

    "Ilikeyou," she said quickly, shocking even herself at her courage. A loud voice in the back of her head told her to shut up before she embarrassed herself, but alas, she went on. "Like.. a lot. I– I mean.. I fancy you. I do."