21. Into the Burrow

chapter twenty one / into the burrow

   It was a particularly icky and rainy day in mid-July when Cassie first met Alastor Moody.

   He was an interesting man, to say the least. With every other step he took, a loud clunk sounded around the nearly empty house of Lupin. His magical eye darted around restlessly while his normal eye stared Cassie down. The thirteen-year-old shifted under his gaze, clearing her throat.

   "Um.. would you like something to—?"

   "No."

   "Oh. Alright."

   Silence fell again. Moody had come to meet with Remus, but seeing as the man was at the store, decided it would have been better to wait until he got back instead of coming again another time.

   "Why do you need to talk to–?"

   "Taking over his old position at Hogwarts. Figured I needed some tips."

   "Oh."

   Cass dropped her gaze to the hem of her sweater and began picking at a loose string until – Godric bless – the lock to the door clicked open and Remus's voice called out. Cassie tried to hide her enthusiasm as he entered the living room and she stood quickly, rushing over to stand next to him.

   "He's here to talk to you," was all she said before she ran up the stairs to her bedroom and shut the door behind her. Cupid was perched on her windowsill, pecking impatiently at the glass, a letter tied messily to his foot. She sighed and let the owl in.

   "You could at least wait until I'm in my room to start with the pecking," she muttered, running her fingers gingerly over the small cracks now forming in the glass. "Who's this from?"

   Cupid kicked the letter from his talon and fluttered over to his perch before stuffing his face with birdseed. Cassie rolled her eyes, but rubbed his nose with her finger as she read the letter.

   It was from Ron.

'Dear Cassie,
Hi! Hope you're having a nice holiday. Hermione says she passed all her exams, and I did too! Can you believe it? Did you pass? Mum says hi. The Quidditch World Cup is this summer, did you know? She wants me to invite you.. we have an extra ticket, because Percy doesn't want to go. So.. I mean, if you're up for it... Just kidding! I know you're dying to go ever since you read the words Quidditch World Cup. I wouldn't miss having you there for the world. Owl back ASAP! – Ron

   Cassie smiled at the letter. It was nice of him to ask if she wanted to go, and they did have an extra ticket... it wouldn't hurt anyone to ask, right?

   She took out a new parchment and began writing her reply when the now familiar clunk-ing sounded out around the house again. She heard the gruff voice of Moody bark something out to Remus, the door swing open, Remus shout something in reply, and the door swung shut.