68. The Slug Club

CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT;

THE SLUG CLUB

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"It's like someone's told everyone Hogwarts's been cancelled this year," Ron muttered to Cassie as they gazed out upon the landing, downcast expressions on their faces. She did not say anything in response, but deep down knew he was right; many families had refused their children the chance to return to Hogwarts due to the fact that Voldemort really was back.

   "Moving on, moving on," the gruff security Auror instructed, taking Cassie and Ron by their shoulders to direct them toward the train. Cassie struggled her arm out of his grasp and sent him a glare, but he kept his sharp eyes glancing around as though daring any Dark wizards to attack while he was there. Cassie and Ron shared an eye roll before hoisting their trunks, owl cages, and brooms into the luggage bin at the back of the Hogwarts Express.

   "Harry, Harry–!" said Mrs. Weasley worriedly, pulling him into a motherly hug and planting a kiss on his head before switching him for Cassie and doing the same to her. "Both of you are coming back to the Burrow for Christmas, it's all fixed with Dumbledore, so we'll see you quite soon," she said, bustling the teenagers onto the train. Harry shut the door as Mrs. Weasley moved to speak through an open window. "You make sure to look after yourself and be good and stay safe..!"

   The train took off, leaving a pair of waving redheaded parents and two tall Aurors on the platform behind them.

   "We've got to get with the prefects," said Hermione reproachfully once Platform Nine and Three Quarters was a blur in the distance. "But Ron and I'll come back – probably around lunch, or so."

"And I said I'd meet Dean," said Ginny as Ron and Hermione walked down the corridor to meet their fellow prefects. "See you two at the feast."

The staring had been tolerable when it was all five of them, but once Ginny, Hermione, and Ron had left Cassie and Harry to themselves, much to their displeasure. Everywhere she looked, Cassie made eye contact with a student who quickly turned back to report their finds to their friends. Cassie lowered her eyes, but lifted her head quickly at the sound of a familiar voice.

   "Cassie!" said Neville, handing Trevor off to Luna and giving Cassie a bear hug. She managed a smile and embraced him back, giving Luna an amicable grin over his shoulder. Luna smiled dreamily at Cassie and said, "We've just found a compartment, if you care to join us."

   Harry and Cassie followed Neville and Luna down the train corridor to a compartment at the very end. "How are you, Luna?" Cassie heard Harry ask from behind her.

   "Very well, thank you," said Luna brightly, beaming up to Harry. She reached out and, once the four of them were situated in the carriage, hugged Cassie. Though taken by surprise, Cassie hugged Luna back. "I'm dreadfully sorry about your cousin. He was a lovely friend."

   Unable to think of the correct response, Cassie gave Luna a tight-lipped smile and a half-nod before taking her seat next to Harry. "Is that a new wand, Neville?"

"Oh, yes!" said Neville happily, brandishing the dark wand in the air. "Cherry and unicorn hair. We think it was the last wand Ollivander sold, he vanished the next day – Oi, come back here, Trevor!" He dove under the train seat to retrieve his runaway toad, his bum sticking up and wiggling around as he looked for the amphibian.

"Are we still doing D.A. this year?" Luna queried as she pulled a pair of psychedelic spectacles from her copy of The Quibbler.

"No point now we've got rid of Umbridge, is there?" said Harry, sitting down next to Cassie. "Alright, Neville?" he added, as Neville had bumped his head against the seat during his hasty emergence from beneath it.