18. Secret's Out... Again

chapter eighteen / secret's out

chapter eighteen / secret's out... again

             "I found this at the base of the Whomping Willow," said Snape, throwing the Cloak aside, carefully keeping his wand fixed on Remus's chest. "Very useful, Potter, thank you..."

He was slightly breathless, but his face shown of disgusting triumph. "You're wondering, perhaps, how I knew you were here? I've just been to your office, Lupin. You forgot to take your potion tonight, so I took a gobletful along. And very lucky I did... lucky for me, I mean. Lying on your desk was a certain.. map. One glance at it told me all I needed to know. I saw you running along the passageway and out of sight."

"Severus–" Remus began, but Snape jabbed the wand further into his chest. Cassie felt a bubble of suppressed rage forming; Snape was always a git, but threatening Remus was crossing a line.

"I've told the headmaster again and again that you're helping your old friend Black into the castle, Lupin, and here's the proof. Not even I dreamed you would have the nerve to use this place as your hideout–"

"Severus, you're making a mistake," said Lupin urgently. "You haven't heard everything. I can explain — Sirius is not here to kill Harry–"

"Two more for Azkaban tonight," said Snape, his eyes now gleaming fanatically. "I shall be interested to see how Dumbledore takes this... he was quite convinced you were harmless, you know... a tame werewolf–"

"You fool," Remus said, though his words held no sting. "Is a schoolboy grudge worth putting an innocent man back inside Azkaban?"

Thin, snakelike cords burst from the end of Snape's wand and twisted themselves around Remus's mouth, wrists, and ankles; he toppled over, unable to move. Cassie and Sirius both yelled out in rage, the former lunging forward. Snape turned his wand quickly to Sirius, pointing it straight between his eyes.

"Give me a reason."

Black stopped dead. Cassie knelt beside Remus's unmoving body, pulling frantically at the cords, only stopping as Snape tossed a spell in her direction and she was blasted back to her spot next to Ron. She faintly registered the shouts of her friends and Sirius over the ringing in her ears.

"Professor Snape – it – it wouldn't hurt to hear what they've got to say, w-would it?"

"Miss Granger, you are already facing a suspension from this school," Snape spat. "You, Potter, Weasley, and Lupin are out-of-bounds, in the company of a convicted murderer and a werewolf. For once in your life, hold your tongue."

"But if – if there was a mistake –"

"KEEP QUIET, YOU STUPID GIRL!" Snape shouted, suddenly looking quite deranged. A few sparks flew from the tip of his wand, which was still pointed at Sirius. "Vengeance is very sweet. How I hoped I'd be the one to catch you.."