41 | Say Something

All Fawnie wanted was to hug the boy so tight they could leave this world behind and live happily ever after

All Fawnie wanted was to hug the boy so tight they could leave this world behind and live happily ever after. She wanted him to know how badly she missed him. How she missed the sight of his ruddy blush and his loud drunken laugh. Bonnie's infectious laughter is something Fawn missed the sound of.

Even seeing him made her feel better. His pretty face looked tired but his eyes still were bright and golden brown.

It was as though time stopped as they stared silently, Fawnie didn't know how long he held her gaze. It could have easily been two seconds or two whole years... but she didn't care. Seeing Bonnie felt like a weight was lifted off of her. She remembered everything up until that moment.

The sly smirks, the hidden kisses in dark corridors, running barefoot in long grass, giggling quietly, warm hugs after not seeing each other for a day or two... their entire relationship felt like home to Fawnie. Even when they first met, she sort of knew he'd mean something more to her.

She used all of her strength to leave Dangerous' back, the safety of being on the horse offered some confidence. But once she stood on the soft damp ground, Fawnie felt a million times smaller. The weight of Bonnie's gaze was so heavy and it made her worried about what he'd say if she tried to explain and ended up doing poorly.

"You are dead, I saw the vardo with your body inside..." Hearing that made her stop short, did her family really go through the theatrics of faking two funerals? "Your brother's too," Bonnie choked on his words and coughed.

"I know." Was all she could say, "And I'm sorry, I am so sorry. You-" The tears came sooner than she expected, "You have no idea how much I wanted to tell you I was alright." Fawnie reached out toward him despite the large space between them.

In that moment, they both looked so young and frail. Tears slipped past Fawn's eyes while Bonnie held them in, they both trembled as they tried to process what was happening.

She ignored the icy feeling of her tears falling. The cold air would soon dry her cheeks, much like it did at the funeral for John... but-- ironically enough --that didn't matter right now. What mattered to Fawnie Rose was the boy across from her, the one with color still in his face and a heart beating strongly.

Fawn never thought about how much John would want for her to be happy. Even though she was sure he'd be a shit about her having a crush... he'd surely make Bonnie fear for his life. But a part of her knew he'd love Bonnie as much as she does.

The thought of loving Bon made a bittersweet smile come to her face, "I had no choice, if I played dead then we'd win, and Bonnie, we bloody did." She tried to smile harder despite his lack of response.

"Please say something, Bon."

"I looked for you, after the match..." A single tear fell down his pale cheek. "Your brother-- your dad told me they got to you, I nearly killed him."