52 | So Bloody Cocky

The fights were amateur in nature but the rules were respected

The fights were amateur in nature but the rules were respected. No weapons, no loose clothing, and most of all, no fucking around. Since Fawnie came to watch the fights, Finn recruited her as the bet collector (and because Isiah was currently... indisposed). Plus Fawnie was excellent at mental maths.

"I've got 50 pound on the welterweight champion of Midlands South!" She shouted, hoping to rouse more attention on Bonnie due to his winnings. "He's goin' up against a... Walter Jones?" She didn't recognize the name. "Apparently he's an amateur boxer in London!"

Fawn managed to get nearly 400 pound out of the men around her in favor of Bonnie. This Walter Jones got 450 which surprised her. Maybe they thought Bon lost his golden fist?

"Bon's coming out in like, 30 seconds so either hide yourself or run to meet him so his head is in it." Finn suggested as he locked the cash in a safe box.

"Right, good idea." She ran up over the bend to find Bonnie stretching and doing his usual pre-fight preparations. Aberama was, of course, by his son's side. "Bonnie!" His head snapped up in surprise. "Heard you were fighting tonight," She could see how his face paled, "I don't give a shit, Bon. You're gonna win."

He laughed, "You're always surprising me, little deer." They shared a quick kiss before Bonnie started toward the fake ring. "Come to wish me good luck?" Bonnie asked.

Fawnie shook her head at him, "I was collecting the bets, Isiah's currently dying in one of the bathrooms right now and you know Finn's kind of shit at maths."

"That he is," Aberama agreed, not poking fun at Finn's lack of skill. "But he's an excellent talker, I watched him round up most of those blokes and... Finn's a poet, Fawnie Rose."

"What? Finn can't talk himself out of a ticket but can convince a bunch of socialites to waste their money?"

Bonnie nodded, "It's mad how easy it was for him, he's such a good bullshitter."

She couldn't help but laugh, "That's so interesting."

━━━━

"Gather round' gentlemen–and lady! On this side, we've got the one, the only–Bonnie Gold!"

Fawnie and Aberama's voices were the loudest of them all. "And his opponent; Walter Jones!" Finn riled the group up all proper like, Fawn watched curiously how he did it. "All bets are final and go to Ms. Shelby there," He pointed at Fawnie. "If everyone's done with the money, shall we get to the fun part?" The group hollered in agreement.

Bonnie and Walter touched gloves and nodded before drawing back slowly. Finn looked at both men and then whistled using his pinky fingers. She didn't know he could do that. Fawnie spent the rest of the fight cheering her fiance on and wondering just how much she didn't know about Finn.

He seemed different than the year before; stronger. It was odd seeing the growth in her faux-twin so suddenly. Finn even stood straighter, not that he needed to with how bloody tall he was. For the first time ever she could see why Tommy tried treating Finn like John. He might not have been built for it a year ago, but Fawnie could see the potential for greatness in him.