47 | My Brother

Fawnie spent the rest of the evening doing simple things

Fawnie spent the rest of the evening doing simple things. She walked the yard with Bonnie, brushed Dangerous, visited with Charlie, and tried to explain how their relationship changed. It wasn't horribly difficult, Charlie's not stupid and understood quite easily.

If anything, Fawn was surprised how excited Charlie was to have a big sister.

"I've never had a sibling before!"

A smile like no other grew on her face before Charlie hugged her legs so tightly she fell to the ground. "Oh! You gremlin!" She couldn't help the laughter from escaping. Especially when Charlie's tiny hands were tickling at her knees.

"Fawnie's got a boyfriend!" He shouted.

"Not you too, Charlie," Fawnie groaned, not really angry at the boy. She could hardly breathe but the happiness in little Charlie's eyes was too strong to fight. Once she had enough, she made sure to tell him to stop and much to her surprise, Charlie stopped right when she asked him to. "Come here, boy," Fawn laid on her back on the plush grass.

It was still damp from the rain during the night. Fawn hardly slept because of it. Bonnie made it easier to sleep through the rain though. He was warm and so cuddly it made Fawnie struggle to even think about leaving bed. And she was dead tired so by the time she fell asleep she was exhausted. Even when drunk off his arse, Bonnie found his way against Fawnie with his arms wrapped around her tightly.

The thought made her laugh, Fawn hated sharing her bed with anyone as a child and now it seemed so easy. She liked that thought.

"You sure you're alright with this now?"

He nodded, his head resting on her shoulder, "Can I still call you Auntie?" Fawnie agreed with a simple nod, "Thanks,"

"Of course, I know this might be hard for you. Come to me with any questions, alright?"

"Okay," Charlie fell silent for a moment before rolling around to look at his sister, "Do you know your mummy?"

Fawnie smiled at his curiosity, she didn't blame him... his mum was dead, it must be hard for him to understand anyone's mum being alive when his wasn't. Even if she was an arsehole. "Yea, I met her not too long ago, she's beautiful."

"Like my mummy?" Fawn swallowed down any bitterness and content she held for Grace and nodded. Despite being a shitty person to Tommy and the family, Grace was beautiful.

"Mhm, beautiful just like yours was. Would you like to meet her one day? I think she'd love you to bits."

Charlie seemed a bit sullen but he agreed nonetheless. "Do you think she'd make biscuits like Aunt Polly?"

"Oh does she! So does her mother, delicious. But don't tell them, they're nowhere near as yummy as Pol's." Fawnie pressed a finger to her lips in a show of secrecy.

The action made her think of Winnie the last day they saw one another, she tried to ignore the thought and sighed.

"Charlie! Fawnie! Supper is ready, get inside before you catch a cold!" The pair of Shelby siblings jumped up upon hearing about food.

No matter what was going on, the Shelby family were always ready to eat. "Race me to the dining hall?"

"I'll win! One two-- go!!!" Charlie bolted toward the house and Fawn merely jogged, letting her kid brother win just because.

She looked over her shoulder and caught sight of Finn, he looked a bit dejected and sad to be honest. "Oi! What's wrong, Finn?"

"Just hungry," He tried to walk past her without saying more but Fawn stuck a hand out, stopping him.

"Talk to me, please." She waited until his eyes finally looked at her to drop her hand.

Finn shook his head, "Everything's just weird now, alright?"

"I understand, Finn. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. For just fucking disappearing on you,"

"It's fine, Fawn."

Fawnie offered a smile, "Finn, you're still gonna be my brother, no matter what." She felt a rush of sadness overwhelm her, "I don't care if our fucking blood says any different, you're my brother through and through. And no, I'll never call you Uncle Finn so don't even think about it!"

Something about what she said must have broken through his resolve because Finn fought back a chuckle. "Everything is so bloody weird now, I can't understand any of it." He sighed loudly. "How're you so... you still?"

She tilted her head up to look at the sky, "I think I've given up caring about things. It's odd, I heard Tommy was my father and didn't really react... it's fucking mad but I just, accepted it. The whole damn situation is out of my control so why should I be angry all of the time? Same thing with... John passing. We can't change that he's gone. So why should we be stuck on it when he'd want us out having a good time in his honour?" She shrugged at him and turned toward the house.

"Come on before Polly strings us up for being disobedient."

Finn snorted, "You're more disobedient than me, you're just far better at hiding it."

This made Fawnie groan dramatically, "I really do take after Tommy don't I? Jesus..."

"Can't believe you're only now realizing, you're like him but... smaller and much angrier." Fawnie pushed him with her elbow and a smile she tried hiding. "Oi! I'll tell Polly you're hitting me,"

She gasped at him, "Finnick is still a snitch after all the time, eh?" He narrowed his eyes at her and Fawn took that as her cue to run.