29 | Mr. Gold

Fawnie wove a web of lies so thick she wasn't even sure where they ended and the truths began

Fawnie wove a web of lies so thick she wasn't even sure where they ended and the truths began. It wasn't new for her to fib here and there. When she was young, Winnie Shelby taught her that a white lie now and again wouldn't hurt anybody. Fawn knows it's morally wrong to lie, but being raised in a family so morally ambiguous, she assumed no one would even care.

It isn't like Tommy doesn't lie every two goddamn seconds. "London isn't safe anymore, Sabini is helping those bastards." Maybe Sabini was lending a hand to his fellow Italians, but Fawnie didn't care. She wanted the truth despite not having any idea as to what it could be. For some reason, Fawnie knows she's willing to accept anything at this point.

Even if it was just a one night stand between Thomas and Victoria, Fawn just wanted some bloody context as to why. Especially why her aunt Polly kept the photograph after all this time.

Thinking of her aunt made Fawn's heart clench, being called a black cat by the woman who raised her hurt like hell. Especially when all Tommy's done has made Fawnie feel like an outsider. Fawnie's been avoiding Pol at all cost, it would take a lot for her to feel comfortable enough to ask Polly for the truth but now wasn't the time with her mind elsewhere.

I have a boyfriend.

The sentence alone seemed normal to any lass, but Fawnie was losing her mind. She'd never had a boyfriend before, she's had crushes but they all turned into nothing because she lost interest. Especially after what happened to her sister, the prospect of loving a lad seemed crazy. She'd only end up hurt in the end, no matter what.

Even with her pessimistic view on life, Fawnie didn't mind the thought of being heartbroken by Bonnie Gold. In fact, she felt as though it would be an honorable discharge from loving anybody... for some reason, even though they started dating less than a day ago, Fawnie knew that possibly being loved by him would be the best thing that would ever happen to her.

She could already predict her falling too deeply in love with Bonnie... and the arguments about her life, her family, everything... the very possible prospect of her and Bonnie not being as compatible as she hoped and... their inevitable demise. Fawn paid close attention to how often her loved one's died.

First Martha, then Sylvia, Winnie right after, her uncle Freddie... John... and quite possibly either herself or Bonnie.

It wasn't out of the normal for Fawnie to be thinking about death, even if she oftentimes tried her best not to. The loss of John was much more bearable but the wound still gnawed at her constantly.

Fawnie sat in the den by herself, Finn has left to get something and Pol was busy... it left Fawn on her own with her own thoughts. Even now, she's still questioning what happened that day even if she'd neglected to think about the entire ordeal for the last few weeks. Fawnie found it to be far easier to just pretend it didn't happen until she was alone.

Because once alone, the young woman found it to be much easier for her to cry freely. When in a room with just her thoughts, she could be sobbing within seconds. But lately, she hasn't been alone very often. Especially after she and Bonnie got caught kissing. Isiah was up her arse every second of every day when he wasn't being bossed about by Tommy.

Finn was no better. He didn't leave her alone much even if Bonnie was nearby. Something about keeping his little sister pure. Fawnie found that to be complete bullshite, she's been dragged through far too much blood to be clean by now. 

Especially considering since she's killed a man. Even though she was beyond happy to have Bonnie Gold as her partner, she couldn't shake the feeling of dread coming up behind her. It was like the hairs on her neck stood straight up and she couldn't figure out why her Shelby intuition decided to act a fool.

━━━━
4 AM, Friday
━━━━

The sight of Bonnie standing below Fawn's window made the sleepy Shelby girl smile widely. "Don't worry dove, I'll catch you if you slip." She agreed silently with a nod. Fawnie was wearing the same suit as she did when they met Victoria's mother once again... in case anything went awry. She stuck a leg out of the window and found a fitting on the trellis.

There wasn't anything growing on the trellis anymore, after the boys went off to war, Polly found no joy in her roses anymore. Fawnie was rather thankful for the lack of thorns as she climbed down silently.

At one point, Fawn did lose her footing, but luckily Bonnie did just as he promised and caught her at her waist. She sighed loudly before looking up at him... at her boyfriend. It still felt weird to think of Bonnie as more than an associate. But it seemed the line between business and pleasure blurred until they became one and the same.

Golden brown met Shelby blue as they stared into each other's eyes. "How'd you sleep?"

Fawn bit her bottom lip as she recalled the restless night. "Horribly, you?" Bon shrugged and she knew he meant the same as her. "I missed you yesterday..." She murmured, feeling embarrassed. Even her cheeks tinted red as Bonnie smiled down at her.

"Did you now?" He sounded mischievous and it made Fawnie want to stand with him forever, Bonnie leaned his head closer to hers, his hold on her waist not loosening. "How much did ya miss me?" She struggled to suppress the bright flushing of her cheeks and ears as a thought came to mind. This only proved to egg Bon on even more, "What's happenin' up there?"

She brought a hand up to cover her face, "I... it's not appropriate..." Fawnie murmured quietly.

Bonnie smirked at Fawn, "You can tell me anything, little deer."

"I thought about kissing you..." She quickly blurted, "You happy?"

The young man nodded, "Very much so... I love seeing you blush, you know?"

Fawnie's jaw dropped as she drew back from Bonnie, "You pull my leg on purpose-" She hadn't thought about his teasing as purposeful but it made a lot of sense. "My goodness, Mr. Gold. The bollocks on you to tease a Shelby..." It was his turn to blush as Fawn continued, "We've got a train to catch, we'd better leave right now." 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

AUTHOR'S NOTE.

So I lied about taking a break from updating, that very night I wrote almost four more chapters so... here's an update to make this particular day a bit easier to handle (to my fellow Americans, stay safe and vote if you can!) due to the election. Things are beginning to pick up for Fawnie and her search for this Victoria woman! I hope you all enjoyed and have a wonderful week <3