17 | Left Us To Die

Fawnie spent the next few days rotating between Polly and Ada's homes, she didn't like the thought of being stuck in one place made her itch with anxiety

Fawnie spent the next few days rotating between Polly and Ada's homes, she didn't like the thought of being stuck in one place made her itch with anxiety. Ada, of course, welcomed her younger sister with open arms. "You're always welcome here, Fawnie!"

The remaining Shelby sisters weren't ever too close because Ada used to hang around Winifred due to Winnie being older. But it seemed losing a vital part of the family brought them closer than ever. Ada made time for Fawnie but when she couldn't, she asked Fawn to watch Karl.

Karl was much different than Fawnie remembered. His Brummie accent was muddled and sounded like a mix between American and London... and to be honest, Fawn couldn't understand him very well due to it.

Nonetheless, Fawn tried her best to get to know her nephew despite it. Most of the time spent watching little Karl was Fawn keeping him from eating things off the floor even though he obviously knew that was gross. "But I want it!"

"Karl, you'll die." He had shrugged at his aunt before trying once more to put the chipped bit of paint into his mouth... long story short; Fawnie had to wrestle him for the paint.

━━━━
Later
━━━━

"I'm going where?" Fawnie looked between her aunt Polly and Tom, wanting answers.

Thomas sighed and took a long drag from his cigarette, "Away, simple as that."

"Simple? Tom, you expect me to just go away?" He nodded, "No questions asked?"

The young woman shook her head at Tommy, he closed the gap between them and stared down at his little sister for a moment. "Yes, no questions fuckin' asked. Those bastards know what you look like and that makes you especially at risk." Fawnie scoffed at her older brother before crossing her arms over her chest.

She understood the risk of being seen out and about, especially after what happened with Luca and his men... "What about Finn, eh? What is he? Chopped fuckin' liver?"

He cleared his throat, obviously unamused. "Finn will be fine, he's a strong lad."

Fawnie didn't want to laugh at Tom, but she couldn't help it. "Have you forgotten all those times I've beaten him in arm wrestlin'? Or regular wrestling? I mean it lovingly, but Finn isn't a strong lad..." She paused for a moment, her heart sinking at where her mind went for a moment, "Who you're seein' is John... and even he couldn't beat the Italians. I won't go unless Finn is safe."

"Finn will be safe, Fawn. You happy?"

Her jaw tensed as Polly watched the interaction curiously, "If anything happens to him, I'll cut you." She glanced back at Michael who was giving her a peculiar look, "You lot think I'm joking? Finn's the only bastard left who didn't treat me like scum. Just because you saved me doesn't mean all is forgiven."

Polly set a hand on Fawn's forearm, "Well, now that you two are done. We have to get goin' Aberama is waiting."

"Bye Fawnie." In that moment Fawnie felt something strange, the way Tom's eyes looked wasn't how they previously looked. They were less cold and fish-like... they seemed a bit warmer. Instead of answering, Fawnie just nodded once before following Polly and Michael out of the hospital.

━━━━
Later
━━━━

Nobody would tell Fawnie where she and Michael were going and it made the young woman uneasy. But somehow the presence of Bonnie Gold in the small car gave her some comfort. Especially every time their eyes would meet before Fawnie looked away in fear of her aunt or cousin noticing.

"So, where the hell are we going?" Michael asked, eyes focused on Bonnie in a threatening way. Fawnie assumed Michael must have seen her and Bonnie having silent conversations. It wasn't very hard for Fawn to speak to others without her words, she often found it easier to speak without moving her lips.

Bonnie tilted his head out of the window and spoke to his father in Romani. "We're almost there, dad says about twenty to and we're done."

"Didn't answer my bloody question," Michael grumbled under his breath before shitting in his seat uncomfortably. Aberama stood on the side of the car, holding on while Polly, Fawn, Bonnie, and Michael sat inside.

Fawnie rolled her eyes at Michael's dramatics, "Quit being a prick, Michael."

He shot his younger cousin a dirty look as Polly sighed loudly, clearly already done with the conversation. "Weren't you the one going on about staying in Small Heath?"

"Yes but I'm being fucking civil. Sorry." She directed the apology at Polly and Bonnie. Bonnie waved it off with a shrug while Polly just tilted her head. "Show some respect will you? They could've left us to die, Mickey."

"I'd rather be dead than surrounded by a bunch of fuckin' witches."

Her jaw nearly dropped before she held her head in her hands, "You're literally-" Fawnie sighed as she gave up, knowing she couldn't get through to her cousin.

AUTHOR'S NOTE.

Thank you so very much for 11.4k reads!! It truly means the entire world that you lot are enjoying this book!! I get that it is a bit of cliche to have the character go with Michael but how else am I going to force her and Bon to bond?! Plus we get to see Michael whine like a little baby <3 I'm excited for where this story is going and cannot wait to get into the second act!