39 | Mr. Changretta

Up until the day that the vendetta would finally end, Fawnie found her anxiety growing

Up until the day that the vendetta would finally end, Fawnie found her anxiety growing. She wasn't afraid to kill Luca, she was afraid she'd see him and fail to pull the trigger. It felt silly to consider that her anger wouldn't take over once she could no longer go through with it. But at the same time, Fawnie had a sneaking suspicion that seeing Luca's face would make all doubt inside her disappear.

Fawnie was still prohibited from leaving Polly's house... and every time Finn or someone else would unexpectedly visit, she'd have to hide in the attic on her lonesome. It was odd hiding from the world when Fawn's always been so used to being seen by everyone just because she's a Shelby. And it seems as soon as she found out that she was the daughter of the very man who thrust her family into prominence, Fawnie faded into the background.

If only I were actually dead, then maybe I'd be free.

She shook the thought from her head knowing now wasn't the time to think about actually dying. You'd think that a brush with death would make Fawnie Rose more careful with her thoughts, but she's Tommy's daughter after all. If anyone overthinks absolutely everything, it is definitely Thomas Shelby.

"Fawnie, don't leave until noon. The keys will be in the car, I'll make sure no one comes round... alright?"

She was thankful for her great Aunt Pol, the older woman knew that Fawnie needed the closure of ending the vendetta... and for once Fawn saw a chance to cleanse her mind of all the grief and pain... something she desperately wished to rid herself of. Her mind was not a nice place, especially with the thought of everyone thinking she's dead...

Sweet release finally seemed in reach for Fawnie Shelby.

━━━━

The clock struck noon, it was time for Fawnie to leave the house for the first time in weeks. Fawnie's attire consisted of her grey suit but she left the top of her shirt unbuttoned to showcase the pink scarring on her throat, her unbuttoned jacket showcased the waistcoat and gun holster... as a warning. She then pushed her hair behind her ears with silver pins and let the rest flow down her back, and to top the look off, she put a Peaky cap on.

Despite her nerves, the clothing definitely gave her some confidence. Maybe that's why the Peaky Blinders are always so cheeky and act like mad hatters, they feel powerful wearing the clothing because it represents strength... or death for some.

Fawnie caught sight of her reflection in the mirror, and for a split second saw Tommy looking back. How odd, she thought. She always knew they resembled one another, but she secretly thought she and Ada looked more alike than anything.

Two of the three Shelby sisters, separated by age but bonded via their anatomy. Fawnie learned a lot from Ada, how to piss their family off being the main thing. From Winifred on the other hand, Fawnie learned everything from Winnie. From how to dress in under five minutes, to cutting one's own hair because their brothers were shite at it, Winnie even taught little Fawn how to sew. (Winnie learned from Ada and Ada learned from Polly, of course).

Fawn sighed before walking out the door, she could do this; she would. Her gun felt heavy as it shook with each step, her shoes nearly sounded like heels despite being dress shoes. She was in the car and driving before she could talk herself out of it... and off she went toward what could be death or victory. Frankly, Fawnie Rose Shelby couldn't give a damn which it would be. Not when Winnie's face wouldn't leave her mind.

━━━━

Somehow, Fawnie managed to get to the gin distillery before Arthur. She thanked whatever God that blessed her in that moment. For five whole minutes, she waited outside listening to the sound of Tommy running his bloody mouth. But once the fighting started, she began to enter, gun in hand as Luca Changretta's time ticked down to zero.

The sound of footfalls came from behind her, she knew Arthur would be there. But Fawnie didn't care. The look he gave her was of pure surprise, his little niece, alive... somehow. She responded with a serious glare, telling him without the words what she planned to do. Fawnie expected an argument, but Arthur nodded and presented her with his pistol silently.

The men flanking him said nothing as she led the way. A gasp from Finn nearly broke Fawnie's focus, she didn't look at him. Of course, he'd be surprised, his brother and "sister" are both alive despite him being told otherwise. She focused on Tommy and the man in her father's hands. Luca Changretta.

Tommy looked at Fawnie with disapproval, she didn't listen; per usual. Blood covered Luca's face, his nose broken in multiple spots for sure, he looked dead. Tommy lifted the man despite telling Fawnie she wouldn't be the one to do it. It was almost like Thomas knew this was the only option now. Luca stood across from Fawn, frozen in place. Her eyes were as cold as ice as she stared into his green ones.

For the first time in her life, Fawn didn't see a human being across from her. She saw her anger and loss, all of the pain from losing John Shelby... everything she hated about herself. Luca wasn't standing before her, Fawnie was.

She lifted the gun steadily, a sickly sweet smile on her pretty face, and never let his eyes stray from her own, "Mr. Changretta it's time to pay your dues." Bang.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

AUTHOR'S NOTE.

Uh, let's pretend it didn't take me another month to upload another shitty chapter. I've been struggling to do anything and everything and writing sadly happens to be one of the things I find had to do. Especially with Helen McCrory's passing, I've felt out of touch with Peaky Blinders and get sad whenever I think about it. I hope this chapter was good enough for the standards of this story because I feel very disconnected from Fawnie and I hate it. I miss her so much but I just can't seem to get her voice right anymore. Thank you lot for 67k it means the world that her story is being loved despite me neglecting it.